BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vallsas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi ,

I Would like to know wther the va user can change the password? when ever he would like to? 

if yes please share the steps.

Thanks in advance..

8 REPLIES 8
FrancisVerscheure
SAS Employee

Hi Vallsas,

passwords are not managed by SAS unless it is an internal account, eg:vallsas@saspw. 

The authentication is done by LDAP or Active Directory or the user has an server account.

Changing the password can be done following the normal procedure.

If you want detailed steps I would need more information of where the account is defined.

Cheers,

Francis

spraggs
Calcite | Level 5
Vallsas,
I think it depends on how you access VA. If you access through a web browser, you can change your password through the SAS Secure Access Management http://www.ondemand.sas.com/sam/
vallsas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Thank you for the info..

my requirement is we dont have LDAP configurred in the setup.

I have created list of users and along with password linux and smc. then shared the same user ids to b.users.now they would like to change them according to their own passwords. when ever they would like to access va first need to enter user id and password.so in the first time the user should change the password insted of the admin created password.

robinem75
Calcite | Level 5

Hey there, did anyone figure this out?  I have a bunch of users that are @saspw accounts not in AD and i need them to be able to set their own passwords and ideally expire them every 90 days like AD.  If i have to, i can change them manually but i want them to be able to reset them to something else. 

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

If you are using internal accounts for your end users (they are all sharing an OS account as the outbound login), they can change their own passwords via SAS Personal Login Manager, usually installed in the end users PCs.This gives them a simplified interface that only changes passwords stored in the SAS metadata repository.

Capture.PNG

robinem75
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks unfortunately these are external clients that don't work for us so
we won't be able to install anything on their machine. I was hoping the
web browser would have something. seems unorthodox to send them a username
and password and they can't change it.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
Renato_sas
SAS Employee

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had an idea, but wanted to validate it first before sharing it. I think I've found a solution that allows users to change passwords for internal metadata accounts (@saspw) via web interface. I've searched for an existing SAS tool or utility that could be used, but only found options to change passwords for non-internal accounts. I guess one of the reasons for that, according to Open Metadata Interface: Reference and Usage (page 170), is because "Internal logins are not intended for regular users. They are intended for metadata administrators and some service identities."

Anyway, using the SAS Java Metadata Interface documented in the reference doc mentioned above, I was able to create a Java class “setPasswd” that changes passwords for internal accounts. I have attached the code (.java.txt extension because .java is not considered a valid extension for attachements here), but I have to say that I'm not a Java programmer, and I'm sure this code can be improved, especially as it refers to error handling, constructors, and better structuring the Java class. The API methods I used require administrator privileges, so I've used sasadm@saspw internally. This custom Java class “setPasswd” can be instantiated from a SAS program within a datastep. The SAS code would look something like this (see SAS Language Reference: Concepts for additional information):

data _null_;
      length rc 8;
      dcl javaobj j ("setPasswd");
      j.callIntMethod("changePasswd", "&_metaperson", "&Passwd1", rc);
      j.delete();
run;

Observe that this is just part of the code. Another requirement that has been shared in this thread stated that those internals accounts should be set to have their passwords expiring in 30 days or so. If the password expiration option is set, once the password is changed by an administrator, it is automatically flagged as expired to force the user to change it next time he or she logs in. This happens for example if you go to SAS Management Console as an administrator and change the password for someone else's internal account, as well as if you do so through the Java API. In order to reset that flag, you need to execute the sas code below that uses datastep metadata functions to set the attribute PasswordTimestamp (which is zero when the password is expired) with the same value as LoginTimestamp. More information can be found in the SAS Language Interfaces to Metadata:

options metauser="sasadm@saspw"
        metapass="99999999999999999999999999999999";
data _null_;
  length rc 8 id $20 type omsUri $256 logints $100;
  call missing(id, type, logints);
  omsUri = "omsobj:InternalLogin?InternalLogin[ForIdentity/Person[@Name='&_metaperson.']]";
  rc=metadata_resolve(omsUri,type,id);
  rc=metadata_getattr(omsUri,"LoginTimestamp",logints);
  rc=metadata_setattr(omsUri,"PasswordTimestamp",logints);
run;

I wondered if there was a method in the Java Metadata Interface that could be used to perform this step within the custom Java class and eliminate the need for the SAS code above. What inspired me to go towards this direction was this other Community post by Andreas Menrath regarding CREATE”INTERNAL ACCOUNT – PASSWORD UPDATE” in SAS 9.4.

The final step is to make this code available as a stored process that also streams a HTML form to capture the new password as a parameter to the stored process, that internally becomes the &Passwd1 macro variable. The other macro variable &_metaperson is automatically set by the stored process and contains the userid of the executing user. The following is a simplified version of the HTML interface, featuring only the key components. I have attached the complete stored process code as well:

data _null_;
  format infile $char256.;
  input;
  infile = resolve(_infile_);
  file _webout;
  put infile;
cards4;
<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<FORM ACTION="&_URL" METHOD="post">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="_program" VALUE="&_program" /> 

Changing password for &_metaperson (&_metauser).<br>
<br>
New Password<br>
<INPUT TYPE=PASSWORD NAME="Passwd1" /><br>
New Password (validation)<br>
<INPUT TYPE=PASSWORD NAME="Passwd2" /><br>
<br>
<INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="Change Password" /><br>
<br>
</FORM> 

</BODY> 
</HTML>
;;;;
run;

To make this stored process available to the end users in a web-based interface, you can embed it as a stored process object in a SAS Visual Analytics report:

VA report with STP.PNG

You will need to set classpath environment variable for the SAS session that runs in the Stored Process Server. This can be done in a few different ways as documented in the SAS Language Reference: Concepts. In this example I’ve added the line below in the stored process <sas_config_dir>\Lev1\SASApp\StoredProcessServer\sasv9_usermods.cfg file. Note that I’ve copied all of the jar files I thought I’d need to my project folder, but you don’t need to do that.

set CLASSPATH=D:\MyDemo\SetPassword\;D:\MyDemo\SetPassword\log4j.jar;D:\MyDemo\SetPassword\sas.core.jar;D:\MyDemo\SetPassword\sas.entities.jar;D:\MyDemo\SetPassword\sas.oma.joma.jar;D:\MyDemo\SetPassword\sas.oma.joma.rmt.jar;D:\MyDemo\SetPassword\sas.oma.omi.jar;D:\MyDemo\SetPassword\sas.security.sspi.jar;D:\MyDemo\SetPassword\sas.svc.connection.jar

In order to compile the Java program you will need to use the same version that SAS is currently using. You can find this and additional info by running the following PROC:

PROC javainfo all;
run;

As a final disclaimer, I’d like highlight that I have not assessed the potential security breaches that this solution may have. If you decide to implement that in production, especial attention will be needed in order to review and improve security aspects.

Renato

muralavenu_gmail_com
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi There,

Your SAS Admin used to create an individual SAS identity for each person who uses the SAS environment in SMC whether the SAS Server is in Workgroup (OR) Domain (AD \ LADP).

Each user needs an account that is known to the metadata server's host, if SAS Server is in WORKGROUP (Non-Domain).  In this case you need to change the User's Password in OS Level (Workgroup).

If the Server is in Domain, the users used to login using their Domain ID and Password.  The End Users\Business Users, those who are accessing SAS VA Application, used to change their Passwords anytime without knowing to SAS Admin.  

NOTE:

If the SAS Metadata Server is on Windows, users typically have Active Directory (AD) accounts.

If the SAS Metadata Server is on UNIX, users might have UNIX accounts. Sometimes a UNIX host recognizes LDAP, Active Directory, or other types of accounts.

Thanks & Regards,

Venu Murala  | Sr. SAS Consultant.

Venu Murala

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation