BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rajsukh
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Is there a way to add row numbers to a list table?

In base/enterprise guide can use _N_, but could not find an easy solution in SAS VA.

thks,

Sukhbir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Joy_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi rajsukh,

SAS Visual Analytics Designer doesn't currently have an option the lets you display row numbers for list tables.

-Joy

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
rajsukh
Obsidian | Level 7

Does anyone have a recommendation on how this can be achieved?

Thanks in advance

Joy_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi rajsukh,

SAS Visual Analytics Designer doesn't currently have an option the lets you display row numbers for list tables.

-Joy

gabras
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi @Joy_SAS

i need to create a sequence variable based on CUSTOMER_ID, so i have to enumerate the interactions a Cust_ID had with the company.

Is it possible with VA?

Thanks

Joy_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi @gabras,

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question about sequence variables.  I hope another VA expert can provide some guidance.

-Joy

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
You could create a variable during data prep using the techniques you mention.
But I can't really see when seeing a row no is relevant during analysis?
Data never sleeps
rajsukh
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Joy,

Thanks for response, this is shame. It is useful in a list table when looking at top 50 or 100 of data, say by revenue figure. This is when it is useful Linush in Sas VA. Can't by done in data prep is my understanding if you apply filters to list table such as area.

Hope it makes sense.
Joy_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi rajsukh,

SAS Visual Analytics Designer might have another feature that you can use with your revenue figures. 

You can rank values to subset your data.  For example, using the Rank tab, you could create a rank to display the top 10 stores for revenue.  When you apply a rank, you can specify top count, bottom count, top percent, or bottom percent.  You can apply a rank to your data item, and then use that data item in a list table. 

Here's the related information in the SAS Visual Analytics 7.3 User's GuideRanking Values in Reports.  (There's similar information for previous releases here:  http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/va/index.html.)

-Joy

rajsukh
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes I am aware of this and works well to show top 10/20 etc. However I have list where stakeholder wants to see top 50 or 100 so a row number would be useful when you look down this list. It's a really simple cosmetic thing to have so bit surprised SAS VA does not have a solution for it. It's almost like building in a count function or _n_ to label rows and can be dynamic. Thanks again.
Joy_SAS
SAS Employee

Thanks for the additional explanation.  I understand why you want the row numbers in the list table.  I'm sorry the list table doesn't have a property like this in the current release.

-Joy 

rajsukh
Obsidian | Level 7
Is there any plan to bring row count as function in next release.. ?
romeomai
Calcite | Level 5

I able to use _N_ in data prepration after unlock manual editing to index rows in my table. At the last table in the code, add the line anyColumnName = _N_;

rajsukh
Obsidian | Level 7
Ah ok, we will try this if the need comes up again to add row numbers

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation