BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
avvy
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All,

Can somebody please guide me on how to change the boundaryof country/state as shown in open street map.

As specifically for INDIA, the J&K state dosent show the POK as part of INDIA (J&K State) but as per Indian governmnet directions all the maps which are used should be as per the governmnet accepeted map where Indian Government shows POK as part of India in its Map and they have also given directions that heavy plenty will be imposed if the maps differ.

Can somebody please help me how to achieve this.

I want to use the map in VA, which will have interactions with other object in the report, so I suppose creating the map using GMAP and using it as stored process in VA will not suffice the need.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek PAthak

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darrell_sas
SAS Employee

You could setup your own OSM server instead of using the SAS one.  That would let you modify the map anyway you want.  The problem is that if you updated you Planet file (the map) then it would revert to the way you see it now.  You would need your own dedicated machine.  See https://www.openstreetmap.org.

With the next version of VA, it will let you use Esri ArcGIS Online maps (for free) in addition to the OSM map.  The Esri map appears to show the J&K area (and up) as in no country.   It is shown with dotted lines like Google Maps.

Proc GMAP will let you use your own shapefile.   And you can sorta drill down.  You have to create multiple HTML maps.  So you connect the html files by html links.  So, when you mouse-click on 'state' it will take you to a html file for that 'district'.  Or you can make it generic so that any state click on will take you to the html file of any 'district'.  And so on.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Darrell_sas
SAS Employee

Do you mean the polgons on the map or the OpenStreetMap background image?

The OSM background image comes from OpenStreetMap.  

The polygons are licensed from GfK Geomarketing.  If it is a change, it takes GfK a while to make the change.

SAS doesn't decide what Country/State/etc is in a map.  They come from GfK.

VA does not have official custom maps (polygons) yet.  This would allow you to insert your own polygon map.

avvy
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you Darrell for the prompt reply.

I mean the background of the open street map.

can you please help me if there is any work around for this:

As I can not use the bubble map on top of open street background map, as it is showing different boundaries as accepted by INDIAN Governmnet. I have to implement the map in VA to show the location which will have the interaction with other report object too in VA and the map should have the facilities of drill down i.e. state-->districts-->sub_districts.

I do have the shape files for all the locations which i want to use in my project, but the problem which I am facing is that if I create the map using GMAP etc.. . How can i be able to drill down through it as well as how to have interaction of map with other report object in SAS VA if at all I am importing the created map using stored process in VA.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Pathak 

Darrell_sas
SAS Employee

You could setup your own OSM server instead of using the SAS one.  That would let you modify the map anyway you want.  The problem is that if you updated you Planet file (the map) then it would revert to the way you see it now.  You would need your own dedicated machine.  See https://www.openstreetmap.org.

With the next version of VA, it will let you use Esri ArcGIS Online maps (for free) in addition to the OSM map.  The Esri map appears to show the J&K area (and up) as in no country.   It is shown with dotted lines like Google Maps.

Proc GMAP will let you use your own shapefile.   And you can sorta drill down.  You have to create multiple HTML maps.  So you connect the html files by html links.  So, when you mouse-click on 'state' it will take you to a html file for that 'district'.  Or you can make it generic so that any state click on will take you to the html file of any 'district'.  And so on.

avvy
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Darrell,

Thank you for the suggestions.

But I do have one small doubt, that if I create maps with drill down functionalities using GMAP. Can I use them in VA having interaction with other report object in VA i.e. like clicking on a single state in map (in VA) will filter the data in cross tab (report object in VA) and display only the data of the selected "state" in map.

Is it possible to achieve it?

Thank you in advance for your great help.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Pathak

Darrell_sas
SAS Employee

No, Proc GMAP (and the resulting maps) will not interact with VA.  Sorry.

Börje
SAS Employee

Hi Abhishek, as this is a policial issue around boundaries in openstreetmap (There are several around the world) 

your best option for getting this variation of map into sas visual analytics is to follow the advice to setup your own osm tile server and point sas va to use that server for maps.

There seem to be a discussion at openstreetmap around these exact issues  you mention, that could be useful to read.

And apparently a pre created variation of maps for your purpose exist so that would be your best option, your own osm server.

link to discussion at openstreetmap.org:

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/49587/indias-administrative-boundary-issue

/Börje

Darrell_sas
SAS Employee

And the India OSM border map at http://openstreetmap.in/#5/22.150/79.081 probably has the borders that the India Gov wants.  If you set up your own server, perhaps you can get your Planet file from there.

avvy
Quartz | Level 8
Hi Darrell,
Thanks for the help. As I have no idea on how to set up separate server of OSM. Is there some document from SAS which guides on how to set separate OSM server and link it to VA.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Abhishek
Darrell_sas
SAS Employee

Actually, the setup is by OSM and other 3rd parties (open source) software.  It changes rapidly, so we can't keep up with it.

The last website I knew about with the latest setup information was https://switch2osm.org/.   

After you get your OSM Server set up, the you are able to change VA to point to it.  That info is is the VA documentation.  If you cannot find it, post again.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation