BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Hi all,

My first VA question ever! Please treat me as VA beginner.

What I have

- SAS 9.4M7 under RHEL, SAS Visual Analytics (VAAR) 7.4

What I need

Create a VA report that has a column with a clickable http link (different per cell).

When clicking the link a Excel file gets created from a data source not loaded into Lasr (via a SAS Stored Process).

What I can do

Load data into Lasr that got the fully working link already pre-populated in one of the variables.

What I don't manage to get working
The link not just showing as text but as a "clickable" hyperlink to an "external page".

The link points to a SAS Stored Process that creates an Excel file.

Below sample SP works if called directly out of Chrome using a link like: 
https://<server>/SASStoredProcess/do?_action=form,properties,execute,nobanner,newwindow&_program=<path & prog> 

I would now just need this link in a VA report but can't get this to work. 

For my real case: The link will differ per cell - but I can create the link before loading into VA so there it can be static on a cell level. 

*Process Body;
data _null_;
 /* Set HTTP headers */
  rc = stpsrv_header('Content-type','application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet');
  rc = stpsrv_header('Content-disposition',"inline; filename=class.xlsx"); 
run;
%let _odsdest=EXCEL;
%let _odsoptions=;
%stpbegin;
ods EXCEL options(sheet_interval="proc" sheet_name="Test"); 
proc print data=sashelp.class;
run; 
ods EXCEL close; 
%stpend;

Ideally

I would like to surface some "description" in VA and not the full link if that's possible. 

I've seen that VA also allows directly for Stored Processes and I could easily load the parameter value (the key value) such a VA Stored Process needs (but: The SP must execute under the functional SP server user).

That's how this VA report would need to look like:

Patrick_1-1651316766185.png

I could ideally surface the link like in row 4 - but it's also o.k. to show the actual link.

I hope I could explain my challenge sufficiently clear.

Any guidance how to go about this highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Renato_sas
SAS Employee

I forgot to mention that the Stored Process could work as a proxy and determine what to do depending on the URL passed as parameter, to simulate different URLs in each cell like you described.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Renato_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @Patrick,

Have you considered setting up an external link from the VA List Table object to the Stored Process? Please see Creating Report Links :: SAS® Visual Analytics 7.4: User's Guide. You could set the Stored Process URL to receive the target URL or a descriptive text as a parameter and use the Stored Process code to use a lookup table to retrieve the URL based on the description. You wouldn't have a true hyperlink like in your example but you would be able to click anywhere in the row to launch the Stored Process. 

Best,

Renato

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

I forgot to mention that the Stored Process could work as a proxy and determine what to do depending on the URL passed as parameter, to simulate different URLs in each cell like you described.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Renato_sas 

Thank you for your guidance. I luckily found someone in our project team who wasn't as ignorant as I am. It turned out that defining the column as URL and then passing the HTML string as parameter did the trick. 

Not sure why I've missed this when looking into the documentation. I was reading the right section but apparently misunderstood what was explained there.

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

I'm glad it worked!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation