BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ghartge
Quartz | Level 8

Greetings,

I am not sure but as it turns out neither of these statements work as filters in a VA Report or on a table at the row level;

( 'InstrID'n Contains 'SUB::SAS.Userid' )

or

('SUB::SAS.Userid' Contains 'InstrID'n)

In either row level security on a table or as a filter. I would really like to use a filter on a report so that I can use the same table for multiple reports and restrict access to the reports themselves.

Is there any way, at all, (and I have looked and cannot find it) to see what the value is for SUB::SAS.Userid or SUB::SAS.ExternalIdentity in VA? Our User Ids are eight numeric values saved as text. Something like '12345678'. I have attempted to use GETLENGTH and REMOVEBLANKS with the SUB::SAS.Userid before comparing it using a CONTAINS statement as listed above. I have even tried an "=" assignment.

I can't find a way to "see" what the SUB::SAS.Userid value is. I have to think there is some change or manipulation that occurred but without validating what I am comparing to I can't be sure. Both fields are eight characters in length. In SAS EG I can see the userid value and it is indeed eight characters long matching what I have in my table.

Thanks for the help.

Gary

SAS VA 7.3 (Soon 7.4)

SAS EG 9.4

7 REPLIES 7
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi!

I have had the same problem with "StartsWith".

There looks to be some problem with functions and SUB::-identities.

My solution was to clean the data so that it was the same as in metadata.

I started a track to SAS, but let go when I got it to work :0

//Fredrik

ghartge
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you Fredrick!

What do you mean by "same as in metadata."? Is this the table on the LASR server? Sorry, a bit new to terminology.

Gary

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Sorry if I was a bit unclear.

I mean that the name in your dataset should be exactly the same as the name registered in metadata via Management console.

Make sure that you have the same length without spaces and also that the case is the same. 🙂

//Fredrik

ghartge
Quartz | Level 8

Hey FredrikE,

Yes, my table name is the same, the field names are the same, the lengths are the same, and the case is the same.

Madelyn_SAS sent me some code to run on the server in debug mode to show the actual value of SUB::SAS.USERID value but our IT group does not see the results she referred to.  They are still trying to produce the results she explained.

SAS does some great things but it is these small "basic/fundamental" things that escape me as to why? Exporting a chart to Excel without having to use Flash, see the value of a user id variable, drop results or a value into a text box in a report.  

Thanks!

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

🙂

What I also try to say is that you shouldn't use contain, instead use "=" which works fine...:0

//Fredrik

Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If a filter for an individual identity does not work as expected, the most likely causes are case sensitivity and the suffix. Specifically, the SAS.Userid property normalizes the value to all uppercase. For Windows, look for problems with how the domain is specified. For more information, see Windows User ID Formats in the SAS Intelligence Platform: Security Administration Guide.

ghartge
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you as always Madelyn_SAS!

I have checked all of the possibilities I can and all turn up the same; eight characters in length as well as defined that way. It seems I cannot "see" the value for SUB::SAS.UserID or SUB::SAS.ExternalID to validate what the report is capturing, If anything.

It seems that I should be able to dump the value into a text box or something but SAS does not have that functionality. We are upgrading to SAS VA 7.4 next week. I hope this will solve this problem.

I have attached a document that better explains what I am doing.

Thanks,

Gary

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation