BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mariusg
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey,

i did not find a paper or documentation about VA Performance results or some user experience.

Maybe anybody can help me with the following questions.

I am searching for an valid statement, how much concurrent workload Visual Analytics running on an Single Machine (SMP) can handle.

Of course this depends on the table size, hardware sizing and many other parameters.

But maybe there is a calculation example?

I only found this paper with some Performance results.

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx%2F4AA5-1601ENW.pdf

[.....]SMP solutions, and allows for larger number of users to access those data sets concurrently. [...]

What is a larger number of users? They tested the performance with 5 light users and 1 heavy user and a 32GB dataset.

If i look at the CPU Utilization there isn`t much tolerance.

They used the following components :

Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-07 um 08.52.30.png

I think we will use  :

Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-07 um 08.37.21.png

So they have more ports to manage the network traffic. This will be probably the biggest faktor?

We won`t have 32 GB but much more concurrent Users.

I think :

max 6 GB

max 20 concurrent

Greetings from Germany

Marius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DavidHenderson
SAS Employee

I think I was able to find exactly what you are looking for.  I posted the document to the forum as an article:

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DavidHenderson
SAS Employee

,  unfortunately, I can't give you a formula to calculate what kind of load a given number of users will place on the system.  There are just too many variables-- not only does number of users, data size and schema, and hardware play a role, but the activities of the users is a huge factor.  I can create a report with simple tables and graphs that perform little more than summarizations or I could create a report that is exported from VA Explorer with heat maps and decision trees that creates significant more load on the system.  If I then have 20 users just viewing each of those reports, one group puts much bigger load on the system than the other, even though both groups are just "viewing reports".

And although I hope that helps to understand why it's near impossible to provide a formula, it doesn't answer your question.

6 GB isn't much data and 20 users is more than reasonable for that system--  You will be fine.  I will pull up some of our performance testing numbers and post them later today.

Hoffentlich, hilft das etwa!

DavidHenderson
SAS Employee

I think I was able to find exactly what you are looking for.  I posted the document to the forum as an article:

Hope that helps!

mariusg
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello David,

the paper is exactly what i need.

I thank you Smiley Happy

see you soon,

Marius

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation