BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Phillip_B
Fluorite | Level 6

Good Day

When using a Header Table (situated at the report level) to drive any number of detail tables within various sections I find it most confusing as to how VA (7.4) determines the mapping on the various fields. I also have the same key fields throughout all the tables with the expectation that it is meant to map on these fields. I have read the VAUG and still not any the wiser.

Urgently looking for more detailed information on how the mapping of data sources happens please.

best wishes

phillip

3 REPLIES 3
ali_jooan
Obsidian | Level 7

There are two ways you can map the two tables ..

1. through interaction .. once you will define interaction between two objects from different data sources, the mapping window will pop up and you need to provide mapping columns ..

2. If not interaction, you can use parameters to be set as filters ..

for example drop-down1 based on table1 is assigned column1, you can create a parameter and assign it as parameter for the same drop-down1. Once you choose a value from the drop-down1, the parameter will hold that value and say you have bar-chart1 based on table2's column1 .. you can filter the bar-chart1 where column1='parameter1'p ...

hope it helps ..

Phillip_B
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for the response Ali_Jooan

I am using both Interaction and Parameters in the manner you describe. Is
it that when using parameters the data sources should not be mapped with
the wizard??

thanks
ali_jooan
Obsidian | Level 7

Parameters are available regardless of the selected table thus they are available throughout the report and doesnt require interaction and thus no mapping is done ..

But if you use interaction between two objects one from table1 and the other from table2, a pop up window will ask you to map the two sources using the key or a combination .. if you are using any such interaction where two objects have two different data sources .. check the interaction and edit it  .. at the pop up screen you will find the mappings right below the interaction options .. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation