BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
brendanb
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am looking for a Visual Analytics or Web Reprt Studio solution using publishing framework or other to be able to create dashboard reports that have to be displayed on a screen and automatically page through reports, live, no user interaction.

I tried to use Web report studio to create reports and publish to a channel or directory but with issues like the package that is published, the dynamic naming of folders/files, webdav folder is recreated (tried IF_EXIST), and a number of other errors gave me headache. I ended up writing base coding using data steps to create HTML (some embedded java for redirecting pages &refresh), proc gchart for graphs. The I used package insert and package publish to publish to sas web server (sasdav). I use a brower to logon onto SAS Content server and open a page which then refreshes and auto rotates to the next page using the embedded redirects.

Is there an easier way of doing this. I would have liked to use VA or Web Report to build the graphs and tables and then publish these or use VA to build all the dashboards, then have VA automatically flip thriugh reports and refresh at intervals. Please help.

We are running SAS 9.4 and VA 7.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Renato_sas
SAS Employee

I forgot to mention that this wrapper can be easily modified to display multiple reports, instead of multiple sections of the same report. Just add the entire report URL in the array. This is a modifyed example:

<html>
  <head>
    <script>
	  var report = [
			"http://<host>/SASVisualAnalyticsViewer/VisualAnalyticsViewer_guest.jsp?appSwitcherDisabled=true&reportName=Your+Report+Name1&reportPath=/your/metadata/full+path1", 
			"http://<host>/SASVisualAnalyticsViewer/VisualAnalyticsViewer_guest.jsp?appSwitcherDisabled=true&reportName=Your+Report+Name2&reportPath=/your/metadata/full+path2&_vaSectionName=vi1234", 
			"http://<host>/SASVisualAnalyticsViewer/VisualAnalyticsViewer_guest.jsp?appSwitcherDisabled=true&reportName=Your+Report+Name3&reportPath=/your/metadata/full+path3" 
			];
	  var index = 0;
	  var dummy = setInterval(loadVAReportSection, 60000); // time in milliseconds
	  function loadVAReportSection() {
		document.getElementById("VAreport").src=report[index]; 
		index = (index+1) % report.length;
	  }
    </script>
  </head>
  <body onload="loadVAReportSection();">
	<iframe id="VAreport" style="width:100%; height:100%"></iframe>
  </body>
</html>

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

This functionality is present in VA 7.3

sadly no alternative for this as far as i know.

greetings Peter

brendanb
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Thanks Peter, will investigate.

Brendan

brendanb
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, Found 7.3 installed in lab. Tried visualisation with automatic chart, with interaction, not working. Hope I am looking at the right feature. Would appreciate it if you could give me some pointers here. User guide is vague on this feature. Exported the visualisation to a report and it just sits there staring at me...and I stare back:)...waiting for it to go to the next chart:):):). Much appreciated.

PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Brendan,

the functionality seems to be rather simple.   (I did not use it before)

you can refresh a single page with a certain refresh rate on an active screen

if data has been updated, the report will refresh the data, but thats all.

sadly the viewer will not jump to the next report tab......would be nice if this would be the case.

i expected it to be a little more...

Greetings  Peter

brendanb
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Peter, thanks a stack. Thought I was missing something, hoped I was not barking uo the wrong tree. Looks like I will have to live with my base coding solution for now. Works okay.

Thanks for the help. Appreciated.

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

I believe the workaround below may help you. It's just a wrapper (HTML and Javascript) that you can customize for your own report. Instead of opening the report in VA, you should open this HTML file instead.

<html>
  <head>
    <script>
	  var report = "http://<host>/SASVisualAnalyticsViewer/VisualAnalyticsViewer_guest.jsp?appSwitcherDisabled=true&reportName=Your+Report+Name&reportPath=/your/metadata/full+path&_vaSectionName=";
	  // The section IDs below can be obtained from the URL that is generated when emailing the report. 
	  // Open your report in Report Designer, select the section you are interested and click File-->E-mail
	  var sectionID = ["vi1514", "vi2301", "vi3813", "vi5427", "vi12410", "vi14893"];
	  var index = 0;
		document.getElementById("VAreport").src=report + sectionID[index]; 
		index = (index+1) % sectionID.length;
	  }
    </script>
  </head>
  </body>
</html>

This wrapper cyclically reloads the report at a specific section on every 60 seconds. because the report is reloaded, you will see the splash screen and the "Loading..." message when transitioning from one section to another.

If you don't want to use guest mode, then simply replace VisualAnalyticsViewer_guest.jsp with VisualAnalyticsViewer.jsp in the URL.

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

I forgot to mention that this wrapper can be easily modified to display multiple reports, instead of multiple sections of the same report. Just add the entire report URL in the array. This is a modifyed example:

<html>
  <head>
    <script>
	  var report = [
			"http://<host>/SASVisualAnalyticsViewer/VisualAnalyticsViewer_guest.jsp?appSwitcherDisabled=true&reportName=Your+Report+Name1&reportPath=/your/metadata/full+path1", 
			"http://<host>/SASVisualAnalyticsViewer/VisualAnalyticsViewer_guest.jsp?appSwitcherDisabled=true&reportName=Your+Report+Name2&reportPath=/your/metadata/full+path2&_vaSectionName=vi1234", 
			"http://<host>/SASVisualAnalyticsViewer/VisualAnalyticsViewer_guest.jsp?appSwitcherDisabled=true&reportName=Your+Report+Name3&reportPath=/your/metadata/full+path3" 
			];
	  var index = 0;
		document.getElementById("VAreport").src=report[index]; 
		index = (index+1) % report.length;
	  }
    </script>
  </head>
  </body>
</html>
PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Renato,

thankx for your work around.  Sadly every tab needs a full page load.....but still.

can I add a user and password to the URL because we do not use guest account.

PS Anyway development should concider to finalize the functionality as expected.

Greetings Peter

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Peter,

For security reasons, passing credentials in the VA report URL is something that is not alowed. If you can't use guest mode, then just use the other URL that I've shared. You will be redirected to the login screen when you access the report viewer application for the first time. Just log in as you would normally do, and after that the "slide show" will start. You will not be prompted for credentials again after this point, even when new reports get loaded.

Thank you,

Renato

KubiK888
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry for a newbie question, how can I locate my specific equivalence of the following path?

http://<host>/SASVisualAnalyticsViewer/VisualAnalyticsViewer_guest.jsp?appSwitcherDisabled=true&reportName=Your+Report+Name1&reportPath=/your/metadata/full+path1

brendanb
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, The viewer runs as a app/applet. Can be found under

config/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer12_1/sas_webapps/sas.visualanalyticsviewer.war

from there on I think it picks up the report and it;s properties from the metadata which should be accessible via sas management console (SASMC), but I don't thin you are going to see the actual report definition in SASMC. Not sure where that is stored, perhaps in metadata but not visible???

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation