BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
silversky9
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am having difficulties using the 'Ranks' feature with a bar graph and categorical and numerical variables. For example: I have a categorical variable, academic department (biology, math, etc.), and a numeric variable pass rate (% of students who passed a course). I also have the number of students within each course who passed. Within each department I have different courses (categorical variable). In my bar graph, I have the following data roles assigned: Category--Course; Measure--Pass rate; Lattice columns--Department. I want to show each department (let's say there's 8 departments), and I want the top 5 courses with the highest pass rates to display within each department. I don't want to use filters as I want this list to update/change with each semester. I have tried many different variations using Ranks, but I cannot get this to display how I would like. Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
silversky9
Calcite | Level 5

Still looking for a solution. Hoping someone will be able to assist, does anyone have any ideas?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Show an example of what you are talking about.   What is the input.  Show the result of the calculations you want to do for that input.  Show the display you are trying to create from that data calculated data.

Either post some example data as a simple SAS data step.  Or use one of the example datasets in SASHELP.

silversky9
Calcite | Level 5

I've attached a sample graph. I'm measuring pass rate (%). Each color in this bar graph represents an academic department (for example, biology, english, chemistry, math, physics), and each bar itself represents a course within each department. I would like to display the top 5 courses within each department for any given semester. And I'd like to display all available departments (let's say I have 8 total departments). For illustration purposes I had to use filters to get this displayed as you see it, but I don't want to use filters because the values can vary greatly from semester to semester. I.e., if I set the minimum % rate at 35%, next semester the rates may be much lower, and I wouldn't pick those up. For any semester, for example, I just want the top 5 courses in terms of percent to display for all available departments.

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 1.31.22 PM.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation