BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Filipvdr
Pyrite | Level 9

I'm experiencing a lot of difficulties for making translations for reports in SAS VA.

For example:

My browser is set in English. I develop the reports with SAS VA in English, but I have to create the reports in NL (dutch) and FR (french).

So when I create the report in my mother tongue Dutch, in an english browser the language is EN_us.

But it could be that someone his browser is set to Dutch, so i have to copy the EN_US to NL. And then i have to translate the NL to FR.

In the end i have 3 language files i have to maintain? Each time a label changes, i have to change it 3 times. It's not really friendly/easy to use.

Any best practices, tips?

Thx!

4 REPLIES 4
Joy_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi @Filipvdr,

There's a whilte paper by Will Ballard and Elizabeth Bales called One Report, Many Languages: Using SAS Visual Analytics to Localize Your Reports that you might find helpful.  (It's based on a SAS Global Forum paper they presented.)  The paper's content is applicable for the 7.1 - 7.4 releases.

Hope this helps,

Joy

ilsescheys
SAS Employee

Hello @Filipvdr,

What is your approach to translate the data values in your report ?

I am looking for best practices.

Thanks in advance.

Filipvdr
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello Ilse,

We tried to work with excel sheets to translate all elements in a report. But when a report is still a work in progress the updating is really frustrating so i would advice to do it as a last step in the process. 

For the rest we followed all the posibilities

- for data elements we had a button with NL/FR to switch from Antwerp to Anvers. Both should be available as columns in your data and you had to create a new calculated item that would change to the correct value, corresponding with the parameter which was linked to your button NL/FR.

- for titles we used the provided functionalities

But in the end it's not really user friendly for heavy reports, a lot of work, after a while, sometimes changes were not saved anymore, ... 

Good luck 🙂 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation