BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi all,

Can anyone point me towards a beginners guide to creating a stored process that would allow users to download large amounts of data to csv or Excel? I've found several articles on the web but they all seem to assume a base level of knowledge.

We have been using the export facility from a table but are running into row count issues.(We have Office Analytics but I'm giving up on getting IT to install it for relevant users)

Basic requirements are:

• What is the basic SAS code to export csv or Excel reliably
  • Where would the SAS program be saved on the VA server?
  • Are they are gotchas or issues that we should be aware of with using sroed processes for this purpose?

Any help appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi there @itchyeyeballs,

do I understand correctly that you are trying to make work such STPs on a SAS VA server?

Before answering to your questions, if you try to let the users to download the data from a report into a csv or Excel, there is a metadata cabaility that will grant the users to right click on a table and download the data from it.

Now, coming back to your questions:

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Juan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi there @itchyeyeballs,

do I understand correctly that you are trying to make work such STPs on a SAS VA server?

Before answering to your questions, if you try to let the users to download the data from a report into a csv or Excel, there is a metadata cabaility that will grant the users to right click on a table and download the data from it.

Now, coming back to your questions:

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Juan

itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9

Great thank you, yes we are trying to get this to work on SAS server.

We cant use the list table object as theres too much data (100,000 + rows and growing)

That stored process looks perfect, will give it a go (for some reason clicking the hyperlink you posted doesnt work, I had to copy/paste it - maybe my browser)

Much apreciated

itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9

Just to quickly re-vist this 

We got things working but found a glitch (maybe only affects our set-up) where the stored process would randomly fail.

This turned out to be due to us using a LASR table as the data source, SAS support advised this is supported in theory but not best practice as the data has to be read from memory into the SAS session each time, on thier advice we switched to using a sas7bdat file saved to the server and the issue went away.

We now have to figure out how to replace the LASR row level security with an implimentation in the stored process that works with the sas7bdat file but thats a whole other thread (probably)

paulo94
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

could you please send a new link? This one is off.

Tks,

itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi, If you mean the sas support link just copy/paste to your browser, will work then

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation