BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mikey03
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Using SAS VA 7.3.

Is it possible to split a single dataset row across 2 lines in a list table?

So for example if a dataset had 10 columns and you wanted to fit 5 columns on line1 and 5 on line2:

Header1: Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 Col5

Header2: Col6 Col7 Col8 Col9 Col10

-------------------------------------------------------

Dataset row1 - line1: Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 Col5

Dataset row1 - line2: Col6 Col7 Col8 Col9 Col10

Dataset row2 - line1Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 Col5

Dataset row2 - line2: Col6 Col7 Col8 Col9 Col10

This is to resolve an issue where a dataset row is truncated in a PDF output as the row cannot fit on a single line on an A4 page.

2nd question: In v7.3 excel outputs cannot be produced (I believe?) - has this been resolved in later versions?

Many thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Regarding splitting dataset rows - as far as I'm aware that is not possible in any current version of VA. In my experience VA 7.4 does a better job with exporting data. If I get a chance I'll check out how it handles long data rows in PDFs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
alineagostini
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

The answer to your second question is there is a known limitation to export Excel or CSV files when using the Modern Viewer in the version 7.3. According to the article below, "All of these actions and features are supported in the classic viewer".

Known limitations in the modern version of SAS® Visual Analytics Viewer 7.3 and 7.4 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Regarding splitting dataset rows - as far as I'm aware that is not possible in any current version of VA. In my experience VA 7.4 does a better job with exporting data. If I get a chance I'll check out how it handles long data rows in PDFs.

Mikey03
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks SASKiwi. Yeah would be good to know if 7.4 does a better job with wide outputs in PDF.

We have used base SAS before and there we have a good amount of control of the PDF document but in SAS VA this control seems to be missing. Would this also be true for the later SAS VA versions up to 8.1?

Thanks for your help.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

In VA 7.4 when you print to PDF there is a "expand clipped content" option in the PDF settings box. When I tried it, content that doesn't fit on a page is printed on the following. Perhaps not quite what you want but definitely better. Check to see if this option is in 7.3.

Of course Base SAS provides the greater flexibility of a coding language. With VA you are trading off some flexibility with the ease-of-use and speedy development of a point-and-click tool.

Mikey03
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SASKiwi. The "expand clipped content" is available in 7.3 but it shrinks the content onto a single line in the output which for very wide rows makes the content almost unreadable. It also removes page headers and titles. So all-in-all not a great experience for end users.

My guess is there must be an answer out there somewhere as its quite a basic requirement to show a dataset row across multiple output lines.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Mikey03 - I didn't see any content shrinkage when I tested this in 7.4 - all the text was perfectly readable, so I suspect it is fixed in this release. Do you have any plans to upgrade?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation