BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DanielChristensen
Calcite | Level 5

I have a drop down with dates. The data is updated every month, so new dates appears all the time.

My question is if it is possible to get the drop down menu to choose the "newest" date automatically when the report is updated with new data?

10 REPLIES 10
aswinrahul_madu
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I have the same query.Can someone throw some light on this.Also, Is there a way to set a recent date as a default selection for a line chart.

Thanks

Aswin Rahul

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Hello Aswin,

Unfortunately, I don't believe this is possible in the current release.

You can suggest this feature for a future release by going here:
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/idb-p/sas_ideas/label-name/sas%20visual%20analyt...

And then click "New Idea" to submit your feature request.

Thanks,
Sam
aswinrahul_madu
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Sam.I appreciate it.I will suggest this for a feature request. 

PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Daniel,

I have a solution using parameters to let a Date dropdown always start with the current date.

Selecting  a history button, the ather dates get selectable.

You can make any version of this, so not be tied down to this example.

If this would get close to your question, I can provide you with the solution set-up

selection.png

Greetings Peter

EWS
Obsidian | Level 7 EWS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Peter,

This solution looks very interesting to me so if you can share this with us it would be highly appricated.

PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

At first I created a key selection table in LASR to be able to create the button selection.

So for this purpose there are two values (Today,History)

Using a separate table guarantees no intervention problems with the original data table.

While selecting the button the value is being transferred to the linked Parameter  (Lets call it Period.Sel)

On the Date DropDownList now add the next filter

IF ( 'Period.Sel.'p = 'Today' )
RETURN ( 'DATE'n = DatePart(Now()) )
ELSE ( 'DATE'n < DatePart(Now()) )

Anyway sort the dropdownlist descending by date, so even with History the last date will show on top of the list.

This should do the job.

Greetings and good luck.

Peter

EWS
Obsidian | Level 7 EWS
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for sharing!

Erwin
SalO
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Peter,

I have a different problem than the one you solved, and I wanted to know if you could help me. I tell you:

In one VA report we have a Drop-Down List in which "Attach1" is a calculated category with YYYYMM format and is descending sorted.

When we save the report, the date is as follows:

"Attach2"

But when we load the new data into memory the report does not automatically update the date and we have to enter and edit the date field of the report.

"Attach3"

With version 7.4 is there any possibility that this is done automatically without ordering the report?

Thank you very much!

PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi ??

Sadly this is the situation for now for as far as i Know (Using 7.4)

I requested  development to consider making a dropdown default value depending on a parameter or calculated field.

This way You could decide how the dropdown default should startup.

Maybe Development can pick this up...

Greetings Peter

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 6 in conversation