BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AK100
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello lads,

I'm quiet new to the wold of SAS, now I did the following. I have transported a big dataset from SAS EG to SAS VA (7.3). This dataset contains daily measurements like you see below (obviously the dataset is much, much bigger, this is just an example):

ID -- Location -- Section -- Date -- Time -- Type -- Value

01 -- Germany -- BB         --1/1/20 -- 10:10 -- VW --   9,0

02 -- Germany -- AA         --1/1/20 -- 11:20 -- AU --    7,0

03 -- Germany -- AA         --1/1/20 -- 13:50 -- AU --    6,0

04 -- Germany -- BB         --1/1/20 -- 13:50 -- AU --    5,7

05 -- Germany -- BB         --1/1/20 -- 15:10 -- MC --  11,3

06 -- Germany -- BB         --1/1/20 -- 19:10 -- VW --  12,0

07 -- Germany -- AA         --2/1/20 -- 15:20 -- OP --    6,7

08 -- Germany -- AA         --2/1/20 -- 15:20 -- AU --    2,0

09 -- Germany -- BB         --2/1/20 -- 16:16 -- MC --   1,5

10 -- Germany -- BB         --2/1/20 -- 11:45 -- MC --   5,8

11 -- Germany -- AA         --2/1/20 -- 09:40 -- OP --   2,7

12 -- Germany -- AA         --2/1/20 -- 02:40 -- VW --   2,0

etc...

Now I want to make a time series plot which shows me the top 4 highest values per day. But it has to be dynamic, I want to use use a selection list which allows me to (de)select a specific vehicle-type (or more). If that vehicle type was measured at least 4 times that day I will automatically get a top 4 of that specific vehicle-type. If not, then obviously the time series plot will give me an error.I then have to select extra vehicle-types to complete a top 4 per day.

It sounds a bit complicated, but the outcome seems very logic, I have a feeling that its possible to workout in SAS VA.

Can someone help me out? I appreciate your help - thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello,

If I understand correctly, what you are asking for is actually rather difficult.

In your data preparation, you could use the RANK procedure to select the top 4 values for each date, but that selection won't be dynamic when you filter by vehicle type.

In VA, you can apply rankings on the Ranks tab. These will be dynamic, but they will be ranking for all time instead of for each day. If you filter your table in VA by date as well as vehicle type, you should get the result you want, but you will only see data for one day at a time.

Someone else might have additional ideas, but this is what I can offer off the top of my head.

Let us know if my understanding above sounds right, and if this info helps.

Thanks,

Sam

AK100
Pyrite | Level 9
Its already not needed anymore though, but thank you for your reaction.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation