BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vietlinh12hoa
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everyone,

I have table below, ID is unique:

IDGroup AGroup BGroup CRevenue
0YNY100
1YYY200
2YNY300
3YYN400
4NNN500

In dashboard, I want to aggregate filter by Group, display rule is that:

• If Group A is selected, ID 0-3 will be aggregated
  • Similarly, if group B is selected, ID 1 and 3 will be aggregated
  • If no selection, all id will be aggregated

My challenge is overall aggregation where ID can be in 2 groups. I need to customize display rule for "no selection" option. How we can customize the rule? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

I have an ugly and messy solution to this, but it seems to work.

Results first:

community2no.gif

community2a.gif

community2b.gif

community2c.gif

If you remove the "Group" variables and ID from the table, then you will get your aggregated Revenue value.

I don't think it is possible to do this by using a display rule. I am using a parameter and an advanced filter.

To make the button bar work, you need a variable that has the values "A", "B", and "C". If you can edit your source table directly, the easy solution is just to make a new column that has those values. But otherwise you can make a calculated item using this expression:

IF ( 'Group A'n = 'Y' )
RETURN (
IF ( 'Group B'n = 'Y' )
RETURN 'A'
ELSE 'B' )
ELSE 'C'

The actual rows these correspond to don't matter. We just need to get the values A, B, C into the table.

Once that is available, we can create a button bar. This must be placed in the main part of the report page and not the prompt area. We don't want the button bar to filter. Instead, it will set the value of a parameter.

Make a character parameter, and assign it to the Parameter role of the button bar.

Now, select your table and make a filter on the Filters pane. Click New Filter and then Advanced Filter to edit the expression manually.

Our expression will be:

IF ( 'Parameter 1'p NotIn ('A', 'B', 'C') )
RETURN ( 1 = 1 )
ELSE (
IF ( 'Parameter 1'p = 'A' )
RETURN ( 'Group A'n = 'Y' )
ELSE (
IF ( 'Parameter 1'p = 'B' )
RETURN ( 'Group B'n = 'Y' )
ELSE (
IF ( 'Parameter 1'p = 'C' )
RETURN ( 'Group C'n = 'Y' )
ELSE ( 1 = 1 ) ) ) )

Wherever we return TRUE, the filter selects the data row and it is displayed in the table.

This should work for you, although you may need to change the variable names in the expression above to match data items in your report.

This is not a very elegant solution and perhaps someone else can offer a better one. It is a bit difficult to understand, so please feel free to ask if there is something you don't get or if it is not working for you.

Thanks,

Sam

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

I have an ugly and messy solution to this, but it seems to work.

Results first:

community2no.gif

community2a.gif

community2b.gif

community2c.gif

If you remove the "Group" variables and ID from the table, then you will get your aggregated Revenue value.

I don't think it is possible to do this by using a display rule. I am using a parameter and an advanced filter.

To make the button bar work, you need a variable that has the values "A", "B", and "C". If you can edit your source table directly, the easy solution is just to make a new column that has those values. But otherwise you can make a calculated item using this expression:

IF ( 'Group A'n = 'Y' )
RETURN (
IF ( 'Group B'n = 'Y' )
RETURN 'A'
ELSE 'B' )
ELSE 'C'

The actual rows these correspond to don't matter. We just need to get the values A, B, C into the table.

Once that is available, we can create a button bar. This must be placed in the main part of the report page and not the prompt area. We don't want the button bar to filter. Instead, it will set the value of a parameter.

Make a character parameter, and assign it to the Parameter role of the button bar.

Now, select your table and make a filter on the Filters pane. Click New Filter and then Advanced Filter to edit the expression manually.

Our expression will be:

IF ( 'Parameter 1'p NotIn ('A', 'B', 'C') )
RETURN ( 1 = 1 )
ELSE (
IF ( 'Parameter 1'p = 'A' )
RETURN ( 'Group A'n = 'Y' )
ELSE (
IF ( 'Parameter 1'p = 'B' )
RETURN ( 'Group B'n = 'Y' )
ELSE (
IF ( 'Parameter 1'p = 'C' )
RETURN ( 'Group C'n = 'Y' )
ELSE ( 1 = 1 ) ) ) )

Wherever we return TRUE, the filter selects the data row and it is displayed in the table.

This should work for you, although you may need to change the variable names in the expression above to match data items in your report.

This is not a very elegant solution and perhaps someone else can offer a better one. It is a bit difficult to understand, so please feel free to ask if there is something you don't get or if it is not working for you.

Thanks,

Sam

vietlinh12hoa
Obsidian | Level 7
OHHH Thank you very much. I got the advanced filter with table object by changing the source. Any chance to link this advanced filter to button bar or drop down objects?
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
I'm not sure I understand the question. The value of the parameter that is used in the advanced filter is set by the button bar (or whatever other control you prefer.)
vietlinh12hoa
Obsidian | Level 7

I mean with your help, I have the Group Filter but it only display when I click on the table

vietlinh12hoa_0-1620384823665.png

How can I move this object as button bar in the report? Do I have to convert to common filters?

vietlinh12hoa
Obsidian | Level 7
AHhhh ok, I got it. I have to create filter object first. Then link with desired table, and from filter object creating advanced filtering rule.
What I did is creating advanced filtering rule in the table object
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Is your button bar filtering the table now, in the way that you wanted?

vietlinh12hoa
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes it's working. But can you elaborate more about the expression logic. If an ID is both in group A and B, it will return A?
IF ( 'Group A'n = 'Y' )
RETURN (
IF ( 'Group B'n = 'Y' )
RETURN 'A'
ELSE 'B' )
ELSE 'C'

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

The filter logic is choosing whether each row is included in the table. It only returns TRUE (include the row) or FALSE (remove the row).

So if you select A in the button bar, the rows with Group A = Y are included. It doesn't matter if any other groups are also Y.

If no button is selected, then the parameter is not in [A,B,C] and we return TRUE (1=1) so that all rows are included in the table. Probably this could have been coded in a better way, but "1=1" is a shortcut if you want the filter to return TRUE.

I wanted to put comments in the expression, but I am not sure if this is possible in the VA expression editor.

I hope this helps a little, and please let me know if there is more that you'd like to know.

vietlinh12hoa
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I've tried to follow the same principle with 5 different Levels (Table contains column flg_lev indicate boolean value, (Level column is just for drop down selection, Rows these correspond to don't matter)).

vietlinh12hoa_0-1620639016555.png

If I didn't add any advanced filter dropdown selection is ok

vietlinh12hoa_0-1620638781153.png

But after I add the advanced filter, selecting based on flag level from drop down. The code is below:

IF ( 'Level'n NotIn ('Level 0', 'Level 1', 'Level 2', 'Level 3', 'Level 4') ) RETURN ( 1 = 1 ) #ALL
ELSE (IF ( 'Level'n = 'Level 0' ) RETURN ( 'flg_lev0'n = 1 )
      ELSE (IF ( 'Level'n = 'Level 1' ) RETURN ( 'flg_lev1'n = 1 )
            ELSE (IF ( 'Level'n = 'Level 2' ) RETURN ( ( 'flg_lev2a'n = 1 ) OR ( 'flg_lev2b'n = 1 ) )
                  ELSE (IF ( 'Level'n = 'Level 3' ) RETURN ( ( 'flg_lev3a'n = 1 ) OR ( 'flg_lev3b'n = 1 ) )
                        ELSE (IF ( 'Level'n = 'Level 4' ) RETURN ( 'flg_lev4'n = 1 )
                              ELSE ( 1 = 1 ) ) ) ) ) )

Now, all level except for Level 4 disappear in the drop down. I don't understand why it's happening.

vietlinh12hoa_2-1620638928413.pngvietlinh12hoa_1-1620638908219.png

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello,

There are two issues I see.

1. The advanced filter is assigned to the drop-down list control instead of the table.

2.  Everywhere in your filter expression that you have Level'n, you should instead be using the parameter that is assigned to the drop-down list control. (Did you create a character parameter and assign it to the Parameter role of the drop-down control?)

Returning 1=1 at the bottom is not strictly needed because you are already handling the no selection case at the beginning. I don't think it is doing any harm, however.

Try making those changes and let us know how it goes.

Sam

vietlinh12hoa
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks a lot. I made some correction, and it's working perfectly.
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

That is great to hear!! Thanks for letting us know

Sam

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 2 in conversation