BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RAStirling
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to create a Geo Bubble map in SAS VA to map total shipments to locations and animate it over time.  The animation aspect is supposed to show how shipments have grown over time so the bubbles would constantly be on the map and will grow each time there is another shipment to that location.

I was able to get all of the data loaded in and animate it over time; however, the bubbles would pop up quickly on the day of the shipment then disappear after the date had passed.  In the attached file, this data is found in the "DOE Shipment" tab.

In an attempt to fix this issue, I reorganized the data so that there was a running total of the volumes shipped to each destination.  That is to say, there is an observation for each day and each location that says how much volume has been shipped to that location from 1/1/17 up until that day.  In the attached file, this data is found the the "Clean Data" tab.  I was hoping this would make the bubbles stay on the screen as time passed but instead received an error message.  The error says "The data for this graph is not valid for animation.  The data cannot contain any duplicated category and date combinations."  I assume this is because there are multiple observations with the same date, just for different locations.

In SAS VA, I assigned "Country of Destination" as the "Geography" role, using the lat and long variables.  I used "Total Volume" for the "Size role" and "Date" for "Animation."

Any help someone might have would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The message about duplication can also occur if the result set for the geo map exceeds 5,000 rows.

http://support.sas.com/kb/60/337.html

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Hi, I'm not sure why you get this message to be honest - as your 'cleaned data' tab structure is correct as far as I can see. As you figured - you will need to have a value for each day for each location in order to retain the bubble visibility during animation. So carrying the total along makes sense in your scenario.

I had a quick try using your data - attaching a video screen cast:

and things seem to come up as expected in VA 8.2. Are you using a different version? If you are on VA 7.x - it may be useful to create a tech support ticket so they can look into the details of your error message.

Regards, Falko

Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The message about duplication can also occur if the result set for the geo map exceeds 5,000 rows.

http://support.sas.com/kb/60/337.html

RAStirling
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, Falko.  Your comment about the data is right in that the data needs to have the running total for each day.  It is possible that I was running into an issue because I am using VA 7.4.  As Madelyn mentioned, there is a data limit in my version that may not apply to VA 8.2.  Regardless, I have amended my data to no longer run into this issue and the animation is now working properly.  Thank you for your help with this.

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Glad you found a solution! Cheers, Falko

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation