BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Flamemage
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I have reports that need to have different access profiles but they share the same LASR tables. Has anyone experienced similar situation and how have you approached separating the access? I can think of 2 solutions so far which is (1) duplicate the LASR table (with slight name change; (2) create a common location for the LASR tables. I wasn't happy with (1) as it seems to be a solution that consumes memory unncecessarily and neither was I with (2) as this would make the access control of the report and artificial security measure (as you the access to the LASR table is now open).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Flamemage,

that would depend a lot on how you set up the row-level security. I am not the expert on that area, I cannot help completely.

However, if you really want/need the strongest security, the best you can do, is to apply your first  guess: duplicate tables/reports and put security on each table and reports. I would also put them on different SAS Folders and put the security at a SAS folder level.

As with any tooling set, it is all a question of what is your priority: reduce space? security? performance? flexibility and easier administration? Once the priorities are clear, you can take some decisions and go for it.

As a side note, I would like to add the fact that, with smaller and uncompressed tables, even if they are multiple, SAS VA works better on performance. The biggest the table, the closer you might be to reach a boundary for VA performance (according to your sizing document).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If all of the users are permitted access to the LASR tables, then why not control security via the reports themselves.

Flamemage
Fluorite | Level 6

No. I need to separate the access of the LASR tables.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Flamemage,

have you already considered the Row-level access security? 

Kind regards,

Juan

Flamemage
Fluorite | Level 6

I came across it early on the investigation but felt it adds-on to the adminstration complexity. I also felt that it would be possible for user to bypass the row level security applied in VA by using code and access the LASR data itself.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Flamemage,

that would depend a lot on how you set up the row-level security. I am not the expert on that area, I cannot help completely.

However, if you really want/need the strongest security, the best you can do, is to apply your first  guess: duplicate tables/reports and put security on each table and reports. I would also put them on different SAS Folders and put the security at a SAS folder level.

As with any tooling set, it is all a question of what is your priority: reduce space? security? performance? flexibility and easier administration? Once the priorities are clear, you can take some decisions and go for it.

As a side note, I would like to add the fact that, with smaller and uncompressed tables, even if they are multiple, SAS VA works better on performance. The biggest the table, the closer you might be to reach a boundary for VA performance (according to your sizing document).

Flamemage
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks @JuanS_OCS. Yes, i am leaning toward bespoke tables for report. We are also facing undesirable slowness with VA so maybe this can also help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation