BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dakes
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I noticed some strange behaviour in one of the reports I built.

My report uses a textinput-box as a filter for the rest of the data that is to be shown. This works fine in the designer, but not in the viewer when I am using the html5-theme (SAS VA 7.4).

In the viewer the filter works as expected for every input except the ones that have this (possibly also other) special character: "™"

It's working fine in the designer and also in the viewer when I change the viewers theme to classic, that's why I suspect HTML5 to be the culprit.

The issue is that when that special character is in my textbox, the data doesn't get refreshed in the other elements of my report. Instead, all I can see is the little icon on the bottom right of each element, telling me that the data is being refreshed, but nothing happens.

Can I change SAS VA to UTF-8 or is this a bug and there's nothing I can do?

Thanks,

David

9 REPLIES 9
Meera_SAS
SAS Employee
Couple of things: Are you up to date on hotfixes?
Second, can you try it on other browsers: such as ie11, chrome and firefox.

If you can send us more details on how to reproduce that will be great as well.

Thanks
Meera
dakes
Obsidian | Level 7

We had our system updated by a SAS Consultant about a month ago, so I guess that is as far as our hotfixes go.

Anyway, I can't reproduce the problem anymore. I changed from modern to classic and as I said the problem wasn't there on classic. I switched then back to modern and the problem stayed away, but so did the fancy animations. The reportviewer now looks and behaves in the modern theme as in the classic theme. I am therefore not sure whether the problem somehow resolved itself or whether switching between modern and classic doesn't work.

For example: When adding more data to a bar chart (sales by month) by loosening the date-filter the new bars would fly in from the top of the bar chart element on the modern theme in the report viewer. Now they just appear, like in the classic version.

Could you please tell me whether I am doing something wrong or whether this indeed isn't the intended behaviour?

Thanks,

David 

Meera_SAS
SAS Employee
Definitely something is going on. I have reached out to our internal folks to report the problem. Any chance you can send us the report xml?
Thanks
dakes
Obsidian | Level 7

I managed to switch the report viewer back to modern. I thought changing the theme in the hub would change the theme everywhere, but apparently you need to change it in the viewer separately.

I also had a talk with our SAS consultant and he said VA can't use that character for filtration because the server uses latin1. I will try to do some data cleansing but I am not sure I can because that table contains product names from different regions of the world.

Thank you for your help!

dakes
Obsidian | Level 7

I had one more try and I can definitely say that filtration works with the classic scheme but not with the modern scheme.

Does anybody know where I can file a bug report for this?

Meera_SAS
SAS Employee
Best would be to open a Tech Support track. Copying Alexander and Madelyn to see if they has any idea.
dakes
Obsidian | Level 7

I opened a tech support ticket [SAS 7612436009] and the issue probably won't be fixed.

The modern viewer relies on the transport service (the classical viewer doesn't). The transport viewer uses XML and it breaks in my case because of the characer 0x1a - which is control-z. 

That's what SAS support said, I don't know where that character comes from, I can only assume that SAS canges it from TM to 0x1a somehow.

Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Did you try changing the session encoding for the workspace server being used by Visual Analytics to UTF-8? I see this was mentioned in the original post, but I do not see anywhere that it was tried.

dakes
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry for the late reply, we had a holiday yesterday.

How do I set that session encoding? I am assuming it isn't the one "Settings"->"General"->User locale?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation