BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
balraj
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Community,

we've a Linux(headless/console based) server. Please provide your inputs on the following questions:

1. How to install SAS VA on Linux server(headless)?

2. After Installation, How to access SAS Management Console(SMC) in GUI?

3. How to access SAS Enterprise Guide(EG) in GUI?

Plz share the links and if anyone has done this guide me through this.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

1. Please refer to the Install Center for Unix:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/94/unx/index.html

2. "How to access SAS Management Console(SMC) in GUI?" - Not sure what you mean by this. SMC is a client tool mormally installed on PCs. It can be used with any SAS server installation including VA.

3. Same answer as for 2. EG on your desktop can connect to SAS VA just like any other SAS App server. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

1. Please refer to the Install Center for Unix:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/94/unx/index.html

2. "How to access SAS Management Console(SMC) in GUI?" - Not sure what you mean by this. SMC is a client tool mormally installed on PCs. It can be used with any SAS server installation including VA.

3. Same answer as for 2. EG on your desktop can connect to SAS VA just like any other SAS App server. 

balraj
Quartz | Level 8

Hi @SASKiwi,

Can I install SAS Management Console(SMC) on my local windows machine and connect to Linux Server where SAS is installed?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Yes, that's right. The same goes for EG. Please be aware that though that the SAS VA App server may not have all of the functionality of standard SAS App server. - you may find some EG tasks fail as the required server software is not installed.

balraj
Quartz | Level 8

Hi @SASKiwi,

So I've to copy the SAS Depot which is of 22GB on two machines(1-local, 1-server) and select SAS EG/MC to be installed while I'm installing on my Local machine. Is my thinking correct?

Will SAS allow to install depot with same license on multiple machines?

I'm new to Admin/Installation of SAS on Linux, Glad that you're helping me 🙂

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The usual practice with SAS Depots is to store it on a file share that is accessible from all servers and PCs and run the install from there. That way you don't need to copy it. SAS VA licensing is based on the number of server cores of your app server. You can install VA client tools like SMC on as many PCs as you like and still be OK with licensing.

Since you new to SAS Admin and installing I would highly recommend you engage expert help, either from SAS or a third-party to help you with the install. It is beyond the scope of the SAS community to step you through the complete process which is highly complex. Getting your design right to start with requires expert advice.

balraj
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you so much @SASKiwi for your inputs. 

I'll definitely go with what you've suggested 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation