BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
avinesh
Fluorite | Level 6

HI All

How to distribute reports to targeted recipients based on the breaks?.

For example, I have a sales report with group breaks on regions. Each sales manager in the recipient list could receive information on just his or her respective region.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi Avinesh,

Can you please explain what you mean by "group breaks on regions". Do you mean having 1 report that will render only the summary information for the logged in sales manager? This means manager A, responsible for region A will see a report summarised for region A and manager B, responsible for region B when logged into the same report will see the values for region B?

If this is what you are after then you may want to look at the SAS Visual Analytics Administration Guide to set up row-level security using conditional grants. This is where the requesting user can see only those rows that meet the specified filtering conditions. The condition in this instance could be set up for the groups the managers are in so that the data underlying the report will only return the rows for the region.

I wrote a blog post about this and mentioned it in another thread -

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi Avinesh,

Can you please explain what you mean by "group breaks on regions". Do you mean having 1 report that will render only the summary information for the logged in sales manager? This means manager A, responsible for region A will see a report summarised for region A and manager B, responsible for region B when logged into the same report will see the values for region B?

If this is what you are after then you may want to look at the SAS Visual Analytics Administration Guide to set up row-level security using conditional grants. This is where the requesting user can see only those rows that meet the specified filtering conditions. The condition in this instance could be set up for the groups the managers are in so that the data underlying the report will only return the rows for the region.

I wrote a blog post about this and mentioned it in another thread -

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
avinesh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your reply,

Here Daily I  want to distribute certain reports through the VA  in an excel format nearly 750 recipients, So it's not good idea to set up 750 row-level security using conditional grants.

Could you  suggest me  any alternative way to distribute reports in .xls format as an attachment.

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi Avinesh,

Does this mean you don't wish to use SAS Visual Analytics? You've posted your question in the SAS Visual Analytics group hence my response being specific to SAS Visual Analytics.

If you want to produce excel reports and distribute them via email you could do this by using the SAS macro language to create an xls report for each of the 750 recipients based on a look up table of recipient name, region and email address and email the report to them. There is bound to be sample code at http://communities.sas.com and/or SAS papers at http://lexjansen.com

Kind Regards,

Michelle

PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Dear all,

still missing the filter option on login user to create a conditional grand on the data set.

this option would give a huge improvement, as it is already availeble in BI.

with this functionality, these kind of problems could be solved in a simpel way. (Development ?)

greetings Peter

muralinori_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Avinesh,

I agree that setting conditional grants for 750 individuals will be lot of work.  Conditional grant with row level security in VA, can set the filter on groups and on individual users. Can the 750 users be put into groups?  If so, the conditional grant can be set on groups and the work can be dramatically reduced. 

Also, how frequent you may need to change the User/Region info?  For a less-frequent-change scenario, grouping can be useful. Since conditional grant is set on group and not the individuals, the users can be moved across the groups without having to change the settings.  For a more-frequent-change scenario,  some type of script may be necessary to maintain the frequent changes for a big volume of user groups. 

Report scheduling will honor row level security and the reports can be distributed in a PDF format and not an excel doc as mentioned in the thread.

Regards,

Murali 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation