BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DWhite
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a character column that has values of 1,2 or 3 and I want to rename to Floor 1, Floor 2, and Floor 3. I would prefer to do this in VA as I am using these data for a button bar function. I can not find an obvious way to rename these variables in VA.

The data are managed in a DI job. I have not identified a good way to create a new column and generate the desired names in DI, either. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your question isn't clear. Are you wanting to rename variables or change the values displayed for a variable? As your description suggests changing the values of variables here are two possible ways:

• create a VA custom category for mapping 1 to Floor 1 etc
  • create a user-defined format in "normal" SAS mapping 1 to Floor 1 etc and add this format to the VA format library

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
You should be able to change the column name anywhere where you could edit table metadata (at least in DIS and SMC).
Be aware of that you also need to consider the physical representation unless the target table is not entirely overwritten in the DI job.
Not sure though the implications this will have on existing VA reports though.
Data never sleeps
DWhite
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for you response. I am referring to the values in the column and not the column name. 

DWhite
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for you response. I am referring to the values in the column and not the column name. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your question isn't clear. Are you wanting to rename variables or change the values displayed for a variable? As your description suggests changing the values of variables here are two possible ways:

• create a VA custom category for mapping 1 to Floor 1 etc
  • create a user-defined format in "normal" SAS mapping 1 to Floor 1 etc and add this format to the VA format library
DWhite
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your response. I will look at the custom category solution in VA. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation