BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
user34567
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I've created some parameters to use as filter descriptions. I gave every parameter a 'current value' so that it shows the category (e.g. team) when the data is not filtered and it shows the team name when a selection has been made. But everytime I test the filter descriptions, the 'current value' gets deleted. So it will show empty again like in the picture below. What am I doing wrong? 

Parameter.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Tessa

3 REPLIES 3
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Which version of Visual Analytics are you using? 

I took a look at version 7.52 and I think what you are seeing is normal, if I understand what you are doing. 

You create a character parameter based on the Teams category, and you enter Team as the current value. 

However, I don't see the goal of having Team as the current value. If there is no team selected in the filter (drop-down list, etc), then the filter is essentially cleared, so there is no current value. 

Can you provide more details about what you are trying to do? 

user34567
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @Madelyn_SAS , I use version 8.5 The goal of having Team as the current value is that I can add it as a description in the report title. There are multiple selections that can be made in this report so I think it will make it clearer to the end user. Below you see the different titles, based on the selection I make in a filter. So the bold part is the parameter I created. I hope you understand what I am trying to do.

Note: sorry this example is for "Regio", but "Team" is also a parameter that should be added to the title. 

Parameter.PNG

"Geen item geselecteerd" means "no item selected"

KeithM
SAS Employee

I have a solution for you.  In my example, I'm using the sashelp.cars table.  The data item used is MAKE.

1. Create a calculated data item to represent your default value.  In my example, the default value is "Honda Motor Sports".

KeithM_0-1719587901762.png

The Make Parameter would be the drop down list that you would clear.

2. Create a hidden page.  On the hidden page, add another drop down list and assign the role to be the calculated item in #1.   Create a parameter for that drop down.  In my case, I called it Hidden Parameter.

KeithM_1-1719587186045.png

3.   Back on Page 1, I have some descriptive text that only references the parameter from page 2.

KeithM_2-1719587280891.png

4.  Results.

a.  You select a car make on page 1.

KeithM_3-1719587346428.png

b. You clear the filter.

KeithM_1-1719587950275.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation