BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cuevasj
Quartz | Level 8

I often have to compare, for example, teacher - school - district averages. Does anyone know how to do this in VA? Currently, I am pre-summarizing my data in eg, then moving the table up to LASR to use. However, what I would like to do is have one table then be able to average by teacher, by school, and by district.

example dataset columns:  school_number student_number teacher_number score

In VA, I need to have a drop-down for the principal to select their school, then select the course, and finally select a teacher. 

Once this is done and the selections are made, I have not been able to figure out a way to find the average for the school or district.

In education, we often need to compare how a specific teacher is performing compared to school and/or district.

using VA 7.3 Hotfix 04

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

That should be possible using the graph builder where you can stack different chart objects on/besid/above each other and even have different aggregations on them. They appear as if they were the same graph.

I have done this a coupple of times when I want to compare for exmple different divisions to the total, added two horizontal bar charts, one for the total and one for the different divisions.

I put them above each other and users can easily compare their division to total.

Not "out of the box" thou' 🙂

//Fredrik

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I think you could do this with drop-downs and parameters.

Instead of placing the drop-downs on the report or section area, you place them on the reporting area.

You then need to create your own filter that uses the parameters for filtering the graphs, but in this way you can choose to filter one graph on school and another one on teacher and in that way compare teacher to school 🙂

I think you need at least 7.4 for full funktionality of the parameters.

//Fredrik

cuevasj
Quartz | Level 8
I appreciate your response, but Visually, the data looks much better in a clustered barchart (for example) where the end user can quickly make a comparison.
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

That should be possible using the graph builder where you can stack different chart objects on/besid/above each other and even have different aggregations on them. They appear as if they were the same graph.

I have done this a coupple of times when I want to compare for exmple different divisions to the total, added two horizontal bar charts, one for the total and one for the different divisions.

I put them above each other and users can easily compare their division to total.

Not "out of the box" thou' 🙂

//Fredrik

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation