BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Kalind_Patel
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hi All,
Is their any way to change pre defined format ?
For eg: i want to change commaw.d format, which is by default giving value like this 123,456,000 but my client wants value like this 12,34,56,000 (in indian comma )

My problem is that i had tried to create picture format and imported this format in SAS VA, but in VA if we use any user-defined format than it will convert that variable to category, and we can not convert it to measure if we want to use user-defined format (in my case that format is indian comma format), so in category i can not do calculations on that variable with user-defined format, ao is their any other way to apply user-defined format in VA and can do calculations also.
4 REPLIES 4
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Kalind_Patel,

No, I don't think you can change a SAS-supplied format. You can only create your own user-defined formats (where using the same name as a SAS-supplied format is not a good idea, see SAS Problem Note 18075), as you did already.

I'm not familiar with VA, but normally a format on a numeric variable should not prevent calculations. In any case it should be possible to perform the calculations before the format comes into play. The format could be assigned at a late stage, only for reporting purposes.

Kalind_Patel
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thanks @freelancereinhard for your reply, actually i tried both ways, using same name of predefined format & using with another name,
But no luck !!
And about VA limitation which i am talking about, i am also surprised after i knew that VA is not allowing variable (which has user-defined format ) to calculate, in base sas and eg, i can easily do calculations on the same variae with same user-defined format.

Please see this link :
http://support.sas.com/kb/47/100.html

In this link under "Formats in SAS® Visual Analytics Designer" section, it is clearly mentioned that you can not convert that variable (user-define format enabled ) from category to measure, and even i can not do calculations before applying the format, it is not possible in my scenario.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

If there was no other way, I would then

1. leave that numeric variable X unformatted
  2. perform the calculations with it
  3. store the result of the calculation in a different variable Y
  4. apply the desired format for reporting to variable Y

But, again, I have never used VA. So, the above approach may be unusual.

Kalind_Patel
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thanks @freelancereinhard for you advice,
But unfortunately it will not work in VA,
Because va will do live calculations,
Not like base sas, so it will not work,
But anyway i really appreciate your assistance to solve this issue, thank you very much.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation