BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SimonJ
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

I have chart that i filter by month, chart display by division lattice column and int type on the x axis if i link the to another chart/section all the filter attributes are transferred being the month, the division and the interest type. I would like to view the second chart only using the later two filters so being able to view the secon chart by month is this possible?

Thanks

Simon

8 REPLIES 8
Frank_Boekamp
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Simon,

Only solution we have found for this challenge is by duplicating the dataset, base your second object on that dataset and create a (mapping) link without the date variable ( link only on the division and type)

Cheers, Frank

SimonJ
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks frank i will try it out

ShivamKS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi

Use filter expression on the line chart instead of interactions to filter it by a selected month. Then you can use interactions to view the second chart on the basis of your selection. In this way there will be no interaction between your month filter and the second chart.

Frank_Boekamp
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Shivam,

If you are using reports in SAS VA your solution will only work for report designers. Report viewers are not able to create a filter expression.

Cheers, Frank

ShivamKS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Frank

But you can use Controls to let the report viewers select a month on which they want to filter the line chart and use parameters to dynamically capture the user selection and create a filter expression on the line chart to filter it by the selected month.

The end users(report viewer) do not have to cretae the filter expression it will be done in the designer.

Regards

Frank_Boekamp
Quartz | Level 8

Using parameters is indeed another way to go. It's rather complex for most users to use parameters in my experience. Duplicating a dataset is a lot easier I think but also not an ideal solution.

SimonJ
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Apoloigies for not responding earlier, i don't belive i am as experinced i am not to clear on what i have to do? But it certainly sounds like somthing that i could use, if you could explain in a bit more detail what i would need to do?

Thanks

Simon

ShivamKS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi

Yes it is a bit complex but here is how you can do that:

You can create a parameter from the month item assigned in your control and then use that date parameter value to filter the first chart.

(please check following link on how to use parameters with date: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Date-parameters-in-SAS-Visual-Analytics/ta-p/...)

Once you have the parameter Use the Filters tab to create the follwing filter :

Filter expr.PNG

And then you can set up simple interaction between the first and the second chart.

Interactions.PNG

So there is no derived interaction between the month control and the second chart and it is only filtered by the values passed from the first chart.

Regards

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation