BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
nitya411
Obsidian | Level 7

How do I Convert Numeric values in Indian Comma Format. I Previously asked this same question here and the solution was to do manual coding in base SAS. But as I'm an intern, I don't have admin rights to share folders from Virtual machine to the desktop. Kindly help.. how to convert numeric values in Indian Comma Format

Here's the preview of my last post(INDIAN COMMA FORMAT)https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Visual-Analytics/Indian-Comma-Format/m-p/434383#M9344

10 REPLIES 10
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Not having admin rights to a PC is a common setup these days in many organisations for security reasons. As I said in your previous post you need to talk to your IT admin, explain your requirement for shared folders and get them it set it up for you. What is preventing this?

I can think of a "stupid" workaround though - if you have access to email in both your VM and PC you can email your format catalog containing the indian format as an email attachment to yourself. Pretty stupid really but it would work...

nitya411
Obsidian | Level 7

Definitely! I'll ask for admin rights but it's a long process and it will take time. And yeah as I told you earlier that I don't have internet access in VMvare, So there's so direct or indirect access to e-mail as well. Is there any other to fix INDIAN COMMA FORMAT in VA? Kindly update.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If email is not available then as far as I'm aware there is no solution. A VM is totally cut off from the physical machine it is running on, so until you can find a way to cross the VM barrier via shared folders, either local or network-based or something similar, I think you are stuck.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@nitya411 - By any chance to you have access to SAS Studio on SAS VA? As far as I'm aware all SAS VA installations include SAS Studio by default. If you do have access then you can run your Indian format code in SAS Studio just like you can in EG AND it can be stored in the right place for SAS VA to use it. You could prepare the data you want to load into VA as well. If you are not familiar with SAS Studio, it is like EG but runs in a browser just like VA.

@Tom - It's confusing but as I understand it the OP has traditional SAS running in VMware on his PC, but has SAS VA running in a browser outside of VMware also on his PC. Because he doesn't have admin rights to the PC he cannot set up shares to allow data and formats created in VMware SAS to be accessible and loadable by VA. He is trying to progress sorting this out with IT admin but it is going to take a long time.

nitya411
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes! i've access to SAS studio, but again that is in VMWare.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

So you don't have SAS Studio working in the same browser as SAS VA and pointing to the SAS VA server? If you don't, ask your SAS admin if it is available. As already mentioned, SAS Studio comes with VA so if you can gain access to it then you are good to go for loading both SAS data and formats into VA.

nitya411
Obsidian | Level 7

Okay that makes sense. I'll try to figure this out, as I'm new to VA i'll ask my trainer to help me on this. Thanks!

nitya411
Obsidian | Level 7
I know what you are trying to say. I've talked to them and they will provide me admin rights as soon as possible.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Can you explain the problem more completely? It sounds like the underlying problem is you want to display numbers in Visual Analytics using a format that is not natively supported.  You have gotten the suggestion to import a SAS user defined format into VA.  But somehow you are unable to do that.  And this is where you are losing me with this talk of virtual machines. What is running on the virtual machine? Is it SAS? Is it VA? Are you trying to read or write to the VM?  What are you trying to read or write to the.

If you are using something like SAS UE then there are ways to link folders from the real machine to the VM.  That is how you move files. Don't write them on the "desktop"., write them into the shared folder.  But I am not sure at all if this is related to your problem.

Also is there another solution to your original problem that does not involve moving files around? For example could use create a text variable that has the numbers displayed in the format you want and just use that character variable in VA?

nitya411
Obsidian | Level 7

Okay! So, I'm working on VA and I was given a task where I've to convert EX $500,000,000,000 to (INDIAN COMMA FORMAT) 5,00,00,00,00,000. Suppose you have a data of XYZ company's profit and the profit is in billion. So, I need to convert that whole column in an Indian comma format. And VA doesn't support this format, for that i wrote a code in SAS 9.4 and that works perfectly fine. But due to some limitations, I'm unable to export that file out of the image. And I'm new to VA, I'm learning on my own, so i'm trying by myself how to fix that. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation