BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Surya_Ravindran
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

We would like to use report prompts to filter out data in a report but want certain objects to be static and not be affected by the filter. 

An example would be a report that displays sales KPIs that can be filtered by agent, but also has an object that displays the total sales of all agents together.

I am not able to see any options to unlink a specific object from a report prompt filter.

Would anyone know the solution to this please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi!

If you add prompts in the report/section area they will automatically filter all object with the same data source.

If you want full control over the interactions you will need to add the prompt to the report area.

One way that might work to get around this is to have a two data sources with the same data. Then you can add prompts with one of the data sources and objects using both.

The objects using the same data source as the prompt will automatically be filtered but the other objects will not.

When you do this you will get a question to link the prompt to the other objects, answer no on this and the linking will not be assigned.

Happy trying 🙂

//Fredrik

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi!

If you add prompts in the report/section area they will automatically filter all object with the same data source.

If you want full control over the interactions you will need to add the prompt to the report area.

One way that might work to get around this is to have a two data sources with the same data. Then you can add prompts with one of the data sources and objects using both.

The objects using the same data source as the prompt will automatically be filtered but the other objects will not.

When you do this you will get a question to link the prompt to the other objects, answer no on this and the linking will not be assigned.

Happy trying 🙂

//Fredrik

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Another (clumsy) workaround might be as follows:

1. In the report prompt, use a dummy table that only contains the values for the prompt. By itself, this won't do anything.

2. Assign a parameter to the prompt. I believe you will also need to set the prompt as "required" in the options.

3. For each object that will be filtered by the prompt, add an advanced filter with an expression like, 'Region'n = 'Parameter 1'p

This does work, although it is not ideal.

Besides being cumbersome, this approach is limited in that the prompt values are not dynamic. Possibly you can solve that in your data preparation of the dummy table? I am not an expert in data preparation.

I hope this will help,

Sam

Surya_Ravindran
Fluorite | Level 6

Thankyou Fredrik and Sam, both approaches worked for me 🙂

I was able to get around the issue by creating an aggregated data source with the fields I want and delete any mapped fields between the source table and aggregated table.

This seems to work and gives me the correct values.

Kind Regards,

Surya

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Ah! Great idea to use an aggregated table. Thanks for following up with us 🙂

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation