BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
chandanbanerjee
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to import a dataset in VA, which is being recognised as category since the data is alphanumeric. I want to get this column defined as a measure. Since the display required is to show these values as it is, against a combination of parameters. Wanted to build a cross tab report. 

3 REPLIES 3
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi!

I think you can do it by creating a calculated item and use the funktion ”treatAs” - number on the character variabel.

//Fredrik

PetriRoine
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello @chandanbanerjee 

They way forward could be by using Parse operator. F.ex. if you have Category for Cruise ship cabins and the data looks something like this Text A = [A123, A154, B129, C3021, C3122,...], you can first use Substring operator to get the number part and then cast it into a number type variable using Parse:

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Petri

chandanbanerjee
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Petri, for your suggestion. I actually have values coming in from various systems and the values are alphanumeric, For eg, I have some values like CHQ114, A679, 9769, CBH. These values are connected to various categories and depending on the category value the measure value is to be reported. Issue is that the value column is alphanumeric and therefore being treated as category. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation