BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DavidPhillips2
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I’m trying to understand the way suppression works in SAS version 8.2.  If I have a data set like

Students   Gender

1                Male

7                Female

8                Total

And a business role to not show genders less than five will only the 1 for male be masked or will both male and female be masked with the total remaining?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

As I understand it only the Male category would be masked. But as you can see you can still derive what the Male count is anyway. Your example would make more sense if the measure you were suppressing was a continuous number say something like grade variance which can't be derived.

Students   Grade Variance Gender

*               *                         Male

16             2.3                     Female

20             2.5                     Total

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

As I understand it only the Male category would be masked. But as you can see you can still derive what the Male count is anyway. Your example would make more sense if the measure you were suppressing was a continuous number say something like grade variance which can't be derived.

Students   Grade Variance Gender

*               *                         Male

16             2.3                     Female

20             2.5                     Total

Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The suppression feature isn't just a straightforward filter that says If xxx is less then xxx then mask.  It is more complex.

This community article provides an example of how the feature works.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-mask-measures-using-data-suppression-i...

Here is a blog with another example:

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2018/03/02/is-it-sensitive-mask-it-with-data-suppression/

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation