BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Rahul_SAS
Quartz | Level 8

Dear Experts,

I have two variables ID and Date. I need to get a max date value, tried everything but not able to find a way so please help me.

ID dates
B0001 01/17/2018
B0002 11/20/2017
B0003 01/16/2018
B0004 11/19/2017
B0005 01/15/2018
B0006 11/18/2017
B0007 01/14/2018
B0008 11/17/2017
B0009 01/13/2018
B0010 11/16/2017
7 REPLIES 7
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

What do you want to do more specific?
The easiest way is to add a list table and then sort in descending date order and look at the first row 😉

//Fredrik

Rahul_SAS
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Fredrike,

My requirement is to calculate and create a data item which should contain the latest data i.e. 17 Jan 2018 in the given sample data.

That data item will be used in a button bar to highlight Data Refreshed On.

I hope, I am making sense here.

Thanks

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello Rahul,

Here is a previous discussion about max date in VA:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Visual-Analytics/About-getting-the-max-date-in-a-table-field/m-p/...

If you just want to display the max date in your report, you can use a rank to select the "top 1" date.

If you need to perform any calculations using the max date, you will need to create a column in your data query using the MAX() function.

Also in 8.2 or 7.4, you can display the timestamp of the most recent update to the data source in a Text object. (Search the doc for "Dynamic Text") But this is not necessarily the same thing as the max date in your data and I believe you cannot do any calculations with this value.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Sam

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Oki!

Create a new calculated item, use your date variabel and "treatAs" number. Set aggregation to max.

Add a button bar and set your date variabel as category, then rank and pick the highest 1 from your calculated variable.

This will make your button bar show only the highest date in your data.

//Fredrik

Rahul_SAS
Quartz | Level 8

hi Fredrik,

please guide me how to set a date variable to category variable.

thnx

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi Rahul,

You can assign your date variable to the Category role of the button bar. It is not necessary to convert it to a category data type.

Sam

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

As @Sam_SAS says assign it as category role of the button bar, I translated my swedish to english, my bad 🙂

//Fredrik

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation