BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kjohnsonm
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello all,

I have my bubble map working now thanks SAS Tech-Support. New question, it seems I might have either bad data or a new zip codes that are not yet mapped to a geography latitude and longitude. Can anyone tell me where/how to test these two ideas and fix my missing three items warning? When I searched on Google.com for SAS and this (subject) no hits, and when I search the Community I also do not get a hit.  TIA. 
PS would love to know a table I might select the zips that are mapped in SAS VA so I can do a difference query, or just have SAS VA display them in some sub filter list etc. -KJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES 6
FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

There are two ways to geo map your data. You either add related latitude/longitude columns to your data source and create a custom geographical item or you select one of the provided lookup options. The doc http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/68648/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1ql9ufve83ojen1qoqux... explains how to create such items. VA also ships with a set of geographical lookup values including countries, states, zip codes, etc. - expected values are listed is here http://support.sas.com/rnd/datavisualization/vageo/71/VA71LookupValues.html . If your data comes in the right format you can choose the related option when creating the geographical item and any overlay (e.g. bubble or coordinates) should render as expected. 

If this doesn't help - maybe you can share a snapshot of your data or add some more details.

Hope this helps. Regards, Falko

kjohnsonm
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

If I was not clear, I can map just fine with my data for 5 million obs, I have exactly 3 zips or 3 obs (I am not sure which) that do not map.  I think they are either bad data or a new zip(s), and I wanted to know how to find them via a query, or just display the non-map-able zip numbers in a separate tab or etc. in SAS VA.  Please see bottom right side of this attached map. I do not want to manually manage 5Mill obs for zip to lat/log. Thanks for your response. If I am misunderstanding your attempt to help I am sorry but think you are trying to help me make data map-able in the first place. I already have a "generally" clean zip (5 digits only) in other words not zip+4 column. I am trying to find the obs that is causing this warning in the [bottom] right of my example.

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

I see. Are you able to generate the map using Visual Analytics Explorer? I believe the explorer interface will show more details in the bottom right corner along with values which couldn't be mapped. Maybe this helps to find the items in question. 

Also, can you quickly describe how you defined your geo item? Did you use the existing US Zip Code option or did you create a custom geo item using related latitude/longitude? Using the US Zip code option is based on the table SASHELP.ZIPCODE and you may be able to use a SQL join to find non-matching items.

Let us know how you go. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Falko

kjohnsonm
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Madelyn, Happy read this information and annoyed that my search did not pop this as the number one hit to the exact error message found in SAS VA. Thank you very much. -KJ

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation