BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Dear all,

As discussed in the past, a lot of VA users would like the functionality to link to a web reference (like a pdf or so).

The web-link description can be stored in a table and can refer to a related info document or so.

I use this web-link a lot with SAS BI but could not find this update in the release documents of VA 7.

Even the SAS consultant did not know !!

Can anyone inform me if the functionality is available now, and if not how to express the importance of this.

Greetings Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Shawn,

thanks for the answer, but thats not what I am looking for.

I Would like to have a full weblink to be adressed.

we have a table with chemical codes that have a related document (pdf) containing safety decriptions.

if i select one of the chemical codes i would like the pdf (described in a table field) to be opened via a new webpage.

the weblink of cource now is the network route to the document.

could you please check this functionality, because it would solve my problem.

in 6.3 it shurely does not yet works like this.

greetings,  peter

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
skillman
SAS Employee

Peter,

I use the External Link functionality within VA to link a crosstab to an external website that accepts parameters being passed to it (which may be what you are looking for). For example, in my cross tab I have a Sales Business Unit, Account Name, and Sales Opportunity Name then the Sales Opportunity ID. When I drill down all the way to the Sales Opportunity ID, I am able to double click on any of the metrics in the crosstab and am hyperlinked to our SalesForce Automation tool which accepts the Opportunity ID as a parameter into the URL, being passed to it from VA, and I can am able to see the Queried results perfectly.

I am using VA 6.4 to perform this and use an External Link interaction to hyperlink to a web page.

-shawn

skillman
SAS Employee

Peter,

Our group is getting access to our VA 7.1 test environment this afternoon and I will ensure that this same functionality exists in the latest version.

I will be in touch!

-shawn

PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Shawn,

thanks for the answer, but thats not what I am looking for.

I Would like to have a full weblink to be adressed.

we have a table with chemical codes that have a related document (pdf) containing safety decriptions.

if i select one of the chemical codes i would like the pdf (described in a table field) to be opened via a new webpage.

the weblink of cource now is the network route to the document.

could you please check this functionality, because it would solve my problem.

in 6.3 it shurely does not yet works like this.

greetings,  peter

skillman
SAS Employee

Peter,

I still think I am talking about what you are requesting. Here is a walkthrough of what I think you want:

I set up the interactions on this list table:

web_link_1.png

web_link_2.png

Note that my external link is setup to receive parameters which are passed from the VA list table.

web_link_3.png

This gives me the webpage for the specific id that I clicked on in the list table.

This demo was created in VA 6.4.

Let me know if that helps.

-shawn

PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Shawn,

again thanks for your reply,

Your additional samples show me how to use this functionality as it is now with a parameter link.

I am still looking for the functionality as in SAS BI server.

17-11-2014 11-28-43.jpg

So here I can add any hyperlink (no parameter needed) to start-up after clicking on a line in a table or so.

I asked the document owner to put the documents in a DMS system so I can show them from there using your provided functionality.  (weblink to DMS folder with document name as parameter)

So I try to solve this issue now as you reported the solution, but as a work around for the original problem.

Anyway I have a request open to SAS development to solve this issue anyway, reported via our local SAS organization.

Peter

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 2 in conversation