BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cmitch34
Calcite | Level 5

We have mapped data on the geomap and are end users are using the radius based selection within the geomap to determine sales opportunities. The problem is there seems to be no way to export only the selection within the radius. This doesnt seem to be logical, there must be a way to export only what falls in radius based selection, otherwise it is a practically useless gimmick. Please advise.

5 REPLIES 5
FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Hi, Have you tried - right mouse click on the geo map and select "New filter from selection -> Include only selection"? This should result in a geo map only showing the desired data points. From there on - you could export the data or apply additional filters. You could also setup filter actions targeting other visualizations - in this case a geo selection would automatically filter a given visualization and you could export data from there.

Hope this helps. Falko

cmitch34
Calcite | Level 5

This works from the editor prospective, it doesnt seem to allow this option in the viewer prospective where all my end users are. Please advise

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

The view mode doesn't provider interactive filters. As such - I would use option two I mentioned and use a second visualization (for instance a list table with detailed information about the data points - customer name, address, etc.). With the geo map selected - open the Actions panel and select the list table which automatically selects Filter as action type. Save the report and open in view mode. With data points selected in your geo map - it will automatically filter the list table. You will be able to export related data from the list table if required.

Hope this helps. Falko

cmitch34
Calcite | Level 5

And this will work with a radius based selection on the geomap? I doesnt seem to filter the list table when applied.

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Yes, it actually doesn't matter how you select data points - whether it's manually via free-lasso, circle or using the geo search bar and creating related radius based selection by entering a distance. All result in data points selected and - if filter interaction is setup correctly - should trigger any target visualization to also update. 

I just had a quick try using VA 7.4 and VA 8.3.1 (current production on SAS Viya) and both work as expected (although VA 7.4 only supports manual selection).

Can you double check that the actions panel correctly shows the filter interactivity between the two visuals - here a screenshot of my very simple test case:

va83_geo_list_interaction.png

Note, the selected list table in the right action tab along with pressed filter action type. I used a basic 150mi radius selection to only have two data points selected (US state VA,WV) which results in only customers shown in these two states in the right hand list table. 

Hope that is what you are after.

Thanks, Falko

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation