BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
es_edu
Fluorite | Level 6

Good morning,

I'm trying to build a report that will allow users to select a school district & school that will update visuals according to the selection.  My visuals and data sources are mapped via a "district_id" and "school_id" which is a numeric code to dimension tables that include district ID's and names, and school ID's and names.

es_edu_0-1722351221854.png

In the report I would like to display the appropriate district names (Jones County, Brown County, etc.) and school names (Harris Elementary, Thomas Elementary, etc.).  As district and school names are subject to change, I don't want to link data via names but based on the underlying ID keys that are time invariant.  The name to be displayed will be the ones in the school and district dimension tables.

I was wondering if there were any resources or known solutions that address displaying text different to the underlying filter values?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KeithM
SAS Employee

I have a solution for you.  I will display the sample report and then explain how it works.

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.13.47 PM.png

 1. I have two lookup tables:   District_Lookup, School_Lookup

You would make these part of your Data process.  If a district or school name changes then you update these tables.

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.17.06 PM.png

 2. My report data is called "District_School_Enrollment".  It only contains id's.

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.19.40 PM.png

3.  All 3 tables are imported into CAS.   You will need to create a Join between District_School_Enrollment to the other two lookup tables so you can get District Name and School Name.

First Join to get the District Name

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.23.44 PM.png

2nd join to get the School Name.  The resulting table is called "Data_Join(1).   That will be the table we create the report off of.

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.26.29 PM.png

4.  After you have this setup, you can now build your entire report off of Data_Join (1).  If you want to add List prompts going against the lookup tables are most efficient.  If you do that, you simply need to MAP the tables.    District Lookup --> Data_Join(1).     School_Lookup --> Data_Join(1).

:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Which version of Visual Analytics are you using? 

es_edu
Fluorite | Level 6

Version: Long-Term Support 2024.03

Release: 20240701

Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I just did a quick test and you should be able to do this by creating custom categories based on District and School. So, for example, create a new custom category called District Names and use the district_id data item as the source. Then use the district_id in the dropdown, and use the District Names custom category in the object. Link them manually, or from the page or report level. 

Madelyn_SAS_0-1722352404249.png

This is what it looks like with no selection in the drop down. 

Madelyn_SAS_1-1722352466009.png

Select a value, and the table should show the corresponding name. 

Madelyn_SAS_2-1722352500441.png

es_edu
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you, one difficulty is that I have about 150 districts and 1000+ schools, which would be a lot of value groups to manually create.  I do think that this solution would work, but it would be time consuming.  

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello,

Did you try creating custom categories to map the district and school IDs to names? That would work for basic filtering.

If you want to store the value in a parameter and use that in advanced filters/calculations, then it would be more complicated but it should still be possible.

Sam

KeithM
SAS Employee

I have a solution for you.  I will display the sample report and then explain how it works.

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.13.47 PM.png

 1. I have two lookup tables:   District_Lookup, School_Lookup

You would make these part of your Data process.  If a district or school name changes then you update these tables.

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.17.06 PM.png

 2. My report data is called "District_School_Enrollment".  It only contains id's.

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.19.40 PM.png

3.  All 3 tables are imported into CAS.   You will need to create a Join between District_School_Enrollment to the other two lookup tables so you can get District Name and School Name.

First Join to get the District Name

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.23.44 PM.png

2nd join to get the School Name.  The resulting table is called "Data_Join(1).   That will be the table we create the report off of.

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.26.29 PM.png

4.  After you have this setup, you can now build your entire report off of Data_Join (1).  If you want to add List prompts going against the lookup tables are most efficient.  If you do that, you simply need to MAP the tables.    District Lookup --> Data_Join(1).     School_Lookup --> Data_Join(1).

:

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation