BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
May15
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a way in SAS Visual Analytics (Report designer) to display in a object only what is selected in a checkbox list?

Thanks.

LF

9 REPLIES 9
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

To have a list control filter an object, you can select View > Interactions and drag a line from the list control to the object, or you can select the list control, click the Interactions tab on the right, and click New to define the interaction.

May15
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Madelyn_SAS,

Thanks for your answer.

I know that. However, I'd like to have an object that shows exactly what is selected. I mean, if I check "North", "Center" and "South", I'd like to see "North", "Center" and "South" in a box/object. It is just to display what I've selected: If my ckeckbox is inside a parameter container, I can't really see directly what I've selected.

F15

KeithM
SAS Employee

I created this sample that is similar to what you want:  http://support.sas.com/kb/59/907.html

Keith M.

KeithM
SAS Employee

If you have VA 7.4 then the you can take advantage of a prompt of type Character List.  Thus, if you have a multi select prompt, the parameter can capture all of the values that are selected.  You can then add a Text Object to your report and simply put the cursor where you want the parameter value and add the parameter on the roles tab of the text object.  See below.

Character list.JPGparameter.JPG

May15
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi KeithM,

Thanks for your answer. I forgot to mention but I don't have VA 7.4, only 7.3. So, I'm afraid that solution does not work with 7.3, am I right?

Anyway, that is exactly what I need. I just have one doubt. Don't you have to assign the Make parameter to your checkbox list? I'm asking it because that is not possible in VA 7.3 (I mean, assigning parameters to checkboxes).

Thanks,

F15

ErinKSimmons
Obsidian | Level 7

I have done this, but I am having trouble with the solutions I have found for dropdown list not working for the multi prompt parameters where I would like to create an advance filter so I don't see <No Selected Value> but rather just a blank in this space.

ErinKSimmons
Obsidian | Level 7

ReportView.jpg

Each of the <No item selected> is an individual parameter set in the "Choose Filters Here" prompt container.

ballardw
Super User

I suggest that you start your own thread and provide a few more details.

Saying you have tried these solutions without providing some details means the first thing asked is what have you actually done, as well as version(s) of your software and perhaps even the operating system.

Piggybacking on a thread that is approaching 7 year's old means that it is unlikely you are running the same versions of anything (and if you are then sort of handicapping yourself plus making it hard for others to help without knowing which version(s) of elements you are using).

I'm not familiar with anything in Visual Analytics as I have never had a license but I strongly suspect that a "multiple prompt" might be a bit different than a "check box" and need somewhat different starting points.

Also I'm not sure that blank would be a good idea instead of <No Selected Value> as I can easily imagine having multiple <No Selected Value> from what it sounds like you may be doing and then having multiple blanks is not going to be helpful to your users.

Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

From your screen shot, you must be using a version on SAS Viya. I looked at the old solution and it still works. 

You add the parameter to the list control and the parameter to the text object. If values are selected in the list control, then they will populate in the text object. But if there are no values selected, the text object will show no <no item selected>. The list control prompts would have to be required so that something is always selected. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation