BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vjef_sas
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

We have a non-distributed SAS VA 7.3 deployment and discovered that SAS Studio is also available on this server. Is VA dependent on SAS Studio? If not, we would like to disable it; we have SAS Studio running elsewhere and would like users to use that instead. Additionally, if anyone can tell me how to disable this service, it would help greatly. Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @vjef_sas

god question. VA does not depend on SASStudio, although it requires some modules from SASServer2_1.

You have 2 easy and quick options:

One option is to disable access through the metadata role. just ensure that nobody gets any of the 2 roles for SAS Studio. You can do this from the SAS Management Console.

Or you can go to the hard option: just disable the automatic deployment of the SAS Studio Web Application.

In order to do this: Stop your SASServer2_1, where SASStudio deploys by default. Go to Lev2\Web\WebAppServer\SASServer2_1\conf\Catalina\localhost. Move SASStudio.xml from this folder to a secured folder somewhere else. Start SAServer2.

Hope it helps a bit!

Best,

Juan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @vjef_sas

god question. VA does not depend on SASStudio, although it requires some modules from SASServer2_1.

You have 2 easy and quick options:

One option is to disable access through the metadata role. just ensure that nobody gets any of the 2 roles for SAS Studio. You can do this from the SAS Management Console.

Or you can go to the hard option: just disable the automatic deployment of the SAS Studio Web Application.

In order to do this: Stop your SASServer2_1, where SASStudio deploys by default. Go to Lev2\Web\WebAppServer\SASServer2_1\conf\Catalina\localhost. Move SASStudio.xml from this folder to a secured folder somewhere else. Start SAServer2.

Hope it helps a bit!

Best,

Juan

vjef_sas
Fluorite | Level 6

Fantastic! Thanks, @JuanS_OCS!

Going the role route allows me to keep SAS Studio for admin groups but lock others out. I replaced SASUSERS in the SAS Studio: Usage and SAS Studio: Report Consumer roles with my own custom groups for folks who should have access.

I still enjoy the ability to view data sets on this server using SAS Studio, so I think I'll keep it running for now. I am recording your tips on disabling autodeploy for that service, though. Thanks again!

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Exactly, that is the way to go, I also prefer that one. I LOVE SAS Studio and the metadata security delwgation is quite reliable.

The other option is interesting where security policies are really strict at some companies.... or where you want to make SAS Web Application servers a bit more lightweight 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation