BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dstephens22
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi:

I created 3 drop downs in my report that are dependent on each other through parameters.  The variables are Region, District, and Territory.

So if Region is picked it only shows the Districts for that Region.  Then I pick a district and it only shows me the territoires for that district.

Works great : except, if I pick a region, then a district, then a territory and i "clear" the region it retains the value of district  and territory even though it is not showing. So if i move to the next section the values are off but it doesn' tell me its that district or territory only.

So My quesiton:  is there a way to have it clear the selection of district and territory when I "clear" Region?  At the moment i have to clear each independently which is confusing to other users.

thanks in advance.

Dave

7 REPLIES 7
RickStyll_SAS
SAS Employee

Dave,

Are you associating parameters with drop-down lists in the body of a section so that you can filter across sections and use interactions between the drop-down list (cascading prompts)? If so, you can create an advanced data source filter (global) from the left panel that includes nested IF ELSE RETURN logic to test if the region parameter is missing. If not missing, filter the region data item by the region parameter value and then test if the district parameter is missing in a nested IF ELSE RETURN, and so on. If the region parameter is missing, then return 1 = 1 in the advanced filter expression, so that no regions, districts, or territories are filtered for any section.

SAS is planning to include cascading filter prompts at the report and section level in a future release so you wouldn't have to do this.

Dave, I hope that make sense and helps.

Rick Styll

dstephens22
Obsidian | Level 7
I'll take a look. It gives me a direction to go in.

Thanks,
Dave
dstephens22
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Rick:

It's been awhile since this post.  I have tried many times to get something like this to work but i am afraid i may be on the wrong track.

Do you have or know where I can find any examples of what you proposed?  

I have three variables: region, district, and territory.  They cascade fine (using parameters), but i can't seem to get them to clear.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dave

Explore_SAS
Obsidian | Level 7
where you have put your dropdowns ? is it at report level or section level ?
dstephens22
Obsidian | Level 7

Report Level

thanks.

Dave

RickStyll_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi Dave,

So when you try to clear region, it's not clearing district and territory, for example?

Rick

dstephens22
Obsidian | Level 7

Correct.  It doesn't clear the district or territory.  You have to clear each one at a time (first territory, then district, then region).  Easy enough to me, but it annoys my users. 😞

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation