BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cpacecnm
Calcite | Level 5

I have a variable that represents responses to several surveys. There are over 200 unique responses, 60 of which are ordinal responses with a total n of 1,757 responses. For example, in one group of responses I have 'very difficult', difficult', easy' , and 'too easy' whereas, another group of responses may be ' yes', 'no', or 'not sure'. I need those responses sorted in that order. The vast majority of responses, however, are open-ended questions and they do not have to be sorted but I need them to appear in the same table as the sorted ordinal responses.

The "Custom Sort" feature in SAS Visual Analytics only allows a limited number of responses and will not even allow me to sort all of my ordinal responses. I created a user-defined format in SAS Enterprise Guide (sample of code shown below) and this allows me to sort the ordinal responses. However, I cannot display the ordinal responses and the open-ended questions in the same table on SAS Visual Analytics, and be able to sort the ordinal responses. Giving a unique value to each open-ended response would be too time consuming. 

*sample of user-defined format; 
else if answerup = 'VERY UNLIKELY' then answer_code = 25;
else if answerup = 'UNLIKELY' then answer_code = 26;
else if answerup = 'POSSIBLY' then answer_code = 27;
else if answerup = 'LIKELY' then answer_code = 28;
else if answerup = 'VERY LIKELY' then answer_code =29;

else if answerup = '1 NOT CONFIDENT' then answer_code = 30;
else if answerup = '2 SOMEWHAT UNCONFIDENT' then answer_code =31;
else if answerup = '3 SOMEWHAT CONFIDENT' then answer_code = 32;
else if answerup = '4 CONFIDENT' then answer_code = 33;
else if answerup = '5 VERY CONFIDENT' then answer_code = 34;

* proc format step;

proc format library=formats;
value abe_answern

25='Very Unlikely'
26='Unlikely'
27='Possibly'
28='Likely'
29='Very Likely'

30='Not Confident'
31='Somewhat Unconfident'
32='Somwhat Confident'
33='Confident'
34='Very Confident'

data lib.survey;
set lib.survey;
format answer_code abe_answern.;

run;

forum sample.JPG

Notice how the responses in "Frequency of Use"  and "One helpful thing learned" are alphabetical. I want the "Frequency of Use" to be sorted as 'Rarely' 'Sometimes' 'Often' 'Always' and "One helpful thing learned" to be sorted alphabetically.

Is this possible and how?

1 REPLY 1
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

I'm not a SAS VA guru by any means but you should be able to enter some custom code which will do the job for you. I wrote an article not long ago on Custom Sorting with Proc SQL which you can use to derive any order you choose. You can find it here -> https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Custom-Sorting-with-Proc-SQL/ta-p/373460

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation