BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I am using  SAS VA 7.4 and have been able to use custom sort. The variable that I am trying to sort has 60 different levels and while I was editing my custom sort, after a certain number of levels, I could not longer pass them to the column on the right.

Does SAS limits the number of levels in the custom sort?

If not, can you please advice what may be happening.

Thaks

Rita

custom sort example.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The documentation states there is a limit of 25 data items you can specify in a custom sort:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/69957/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n14ka0z8ty6bt0n1wqqzb...

An alternative approach would be to use user-defined formats to remap the order of the data. Unfortunately VA will still sort the formatted values in alphabetic order so you need to prefix the values with A, B C or 1, 2, 3 to get the required order.

What type of report do you want to use the custom sort on?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The documentation states there is a limit of 25 data items you can specify in a custom sort:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/69957/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n14ka0z8ty6bt0n1wqqzb...

An alternative approach would be to use user-defined formats to remap the order of the data. Unfortunately VA will still sort the formatted values in alphabetic order so you need to prefix the values with A, B C or 1, 2, 3 to get the required order.

What type of report do you want to use the custom sort on?

rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Hi I would like to sort a list of location from north to south and not alphabetical. But it is fine. At least now, I know that 25 is limit and I can get most of them done, with the combination between the custom sort and alphabetical.

Thanks!

Rita

Torben_Skov_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi Rita,

Using the SAS Management Console, you can increase the limit for custom sort.

Login to the SMC.

Under Plugins browse to 

Application Management -> Configuration Manager -> SAS Application Infrastructure -> Visual Analytics 7.4

Right click Visual Analytics 7.4 and select properties.

Select the Advanced tab.

Add the following Property Name va.CustomSortMaxValueLimit and assign it the desired value.

I've had no problems setting it to 100.

You must restart the SAS services for the change to take effect.

Torben

rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Torben,

Thank you. I have added that property. 

The system will be restarted and fingers crossed it will work.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Rita

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation