BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JohnDooris
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am brand new to SAS Visual Analytics, so forgive me if there is an obvious answer to this question that I have missed (but I have searched this forum and have not found an answer). I am creating a stacked bar chart displaying the race/ethnicity (group) of a population over a 5 year period (category includes five values: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019). I am displaying the frequency as my measure, but I would like the end user to be able to also see the frequency percent as a data tip. However, when I select frequency percent as a data tip value, the percentage is being calculated using the entire dataset's number of observations (all five years) as the denominator. What I want is to display the frequency percent using each distinct category's observations (i.e., each year's observations) as the denominator.

Someone posted a similar question to this forum and the response was to select "Normalize groups to 100%" in the options. While this does show the correct frequency percent (by year), it's not an ideal solution, because I lose the ability to visualize the magnitude of raw growth over time. I am attaching a screenshot of the problem below. For example, I want the frequency percent in the data tip to calculate the percentage of the Asian population in the Fall 2017 term as 596/6,688=8.9%, but the frequency percent is currently using the entire number of observations in the dataset (6,502+6,541+6,688+6,874+7,177) as the denominator.

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 4.42.51 PM.png

Appreciate any help!

Thank you,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PetriRoine
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello @JohnDooris 

Welcome to our community! Yes, this is easily doable with the AggregateTable operator which you use to fix the aggregation to Term level.

For more information about AggregateTablehttps://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/SAS-Visual-Analytics-Advanced-Calculations-pa...

Here's the New Calculated Item view:

Capture.PNG

Here's the code:

Sum [_ByGroup_] ('Population'n) / AggregateTable(_Sum_, Table(
_Sum_, Fixed('Term'n), 'Population'n))

And here's how it looks:

Capture2.PNG

I hope this helps 😃

Best regards,

Petri

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PetriRoine
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello @JohnDooris 

Welcome to our community! Yes, this is easily doable with the AggregateTable operator which you use to fix the aggregation to Term level.

For more information about AggregateTablehttps://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/SAS-Visual-Analytics-Advanced-Calculations-pa...

Here's the New Calculated Item view:

Capture.PNG

Here's the code:

Sum [_ByGroup_] ('Population'n) / AggregateTable(_Sum_, Table(
_Sum_, Fixed('Term'n), 'Population'n))

And here's how it looks:

Capture2.PNG

I hope this helps 😃

Best regards,

Petri

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation