BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RB7
Calcite | Level 5 RB7
Calcite | Level 5

Good morning everyone,

I have a dataset in SAS Enterprise Guide which I have attached to this post.

And the value that I want to see is E0, which has the following formula:

E0 = OPEX / Total Maintenance Costs * 100%

To calculate the E0 for the 1st Quarter of 2017, it would be like:

E0(1st Quarter 2017) = SUM(OPEX(January,February,March) / SUM(Total Maintenance Costs(January,February,March) * 100%

And the same rational would be applied to the Monthly and Yearly calculation.

My problem is that people might want to see the value of E0 on Visual Analytics by those 3 different groups (Monthly, Yearly, Quarterly).

My first thought was to make all of the calculations on Enterprise Guide but that would lead me to an additional column (this would be awkward because of the number of rows) or table for each group.

My second thought was to make the calculations on Visual Analytics, since I can just create an aggregated measure and group by whatever is selected (Month, Quarter or Year).

Which is the best way? Which one, EG or VA, suffers more from the calculations? What is the best practice?

Is there a better solution than the ones that I presented?

Thank you very much!

1 REPLY 1
TriciaAanderud
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I suspect doing the calculation in SAS VA will give you the most flexibility.

Tricia Aanderud

Twitter: @taanderud - Follow me!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation