BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Bill_D
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I am trying to build a simple map/graph of the Republic of Ireland, with 26 counties, in SAS VA.

I have been able to build the outline of the a map/graph, with the outline of Ireland using just the ISO two letter code - IE.  (I have specified as a geographic variable.

However, I am unsure as to which value to use for the county.  

I have created values as below  (county/clean county are just value I have use to clean up the county in our own data).

COUNTY

CLEAN_COUNTY

PROVINCE

_MAP_GEOMETRY_

COUNTRY

ID

REGION

IDNAME

OLDID

ISO_CODE

CO CARLOW

CARLOW

REST OF LEINSTER

id 1 of maps.ireland

I

CARLOW

IE-CW

The highlighted varaiables are all taken for the Maps library in SAS (Ireland & Ireland2 datasets).

Can I just us a SAS Map ID variable or are the X/Y co-ordinates for each address required or the county mid-point?

I hope this this makes sense.

thanks for your help

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Bill,

sorry but no experience with county boundaries, I always use cent coordinates given by Google.

Geo_Match.png

So I store the Log/Lat of the customer and center of country. Then the average of the countries by GeoArea is my lat/log for the GeoArea.

While assigning these Log/Lat coordinates to Customers/Counties/Countries/Area's, I create the drill-down hierarchies.

Anyway I am using 6.3 and will upgrade jan 2015 to 7.  Lets see if there are new options..

greetings and good luck.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Bill,

Please check this previous discussion, maybe it helps you out in a different way. https://communities.sas.com/thread/57062?start=0&tstart=0

You can ask google for the center latitude/longitude by county and use the custom geografics.

Greetings  Peter

Bill_D
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.  This is and will be useful.

I had managed to get the center latitude/longitude by county and create a custom geography (the large bubble is Dublin) but as you can see below I do not have any county boundaries. The map on the right uses the SAS Region name 'Ireland'

Do you know if SAS VA should display each centroid within its county/SAS defined sub-region boundaries?

I tried to create a hierachy linking country -> county centroid but am not able to get the points to map onto the larger Ireland map.

Thanks

Bill

Ireland_map.png

PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Bill,

sorry but no experience with county boundaries, I always use cent coordinates given by Google.

Geo_Match.png

So I store the Log/Lat of the customer and center of country. Then the average of the countries by GeoArea is my lat/log for the GeoArea.

While assigning these Log/Lat coordinates to Customers/Counties/Countries/Area's, I create the drill-down hierarchies.

Anyway I am using 6.3 and will upgrade jan 2015 to 7.  Lets see if there are new options..

greetings and good luck.

Bill_D
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Peter.

That is perfect.  I will use this method to build the hierachies that I need. 

Thanks for your help.

Bill

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation