BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AnnaBrown
Community Manager

A recent poll showed that community members’ browser of choice was Firefox, followed by Chrome and then Internet Explorer (I understand that this is a low sample size of the community with just a few votes, but I’m working with what we have). Interestingly enough, I researched ways to share results from this poll before I left for maternity leave last fall. Back then, I found a StatCounter graph from Sept. 2013 showing the geographic spread of global browser preferences:

While reviewing poll results to date, I looked up the same graph for March 2014. Wow, look at the difference:

Chrome has taken over in popularity while IE preference is diminishing.

Now let’s take a look at the geographic spread and preference of the community for April 2014 – see SAS Visual Analytics map below. Color codes indicate top browser by country and the list/legend shows the total number of times each browser was the top browser. The overall top browser is Chrome (shocker) with 33 countries having it as top choice:

It’s interesting to compare the geo-spread of preferences among the community with the global preference evolution from the StatCounter graphs.

Any thoughts here? Why the increase in Chrome preference? The original community poll is still active so if you want to vote for your favorite, go right ahead.

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

4 REPLIES 4
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Nice graphs and analysis...

Perhaps the popularity increase in Chrome is due to IE security flaw... Microsoft Patches Latest Internet Explorer Security Flaw - Even For XP Users | TechCrunch

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Thanks Michelle.

That's a good point. I wonder how many community members ... and the entire online population for that matter ... are still using Windows XP. It may be more than we think.

I_Kong_SAS
SAS Employee

It would be interesting to see if any response to the security news is reflected in the browser and OS stats for community visitors for May.

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

It certainly would, I-Kong, great idea. I''ll look into that.

Any other angles the community would find interesting to show on this front?

Anna

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation