BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

Bruce Gilsen, Federal Reserve,  presents - 

Title:: SAS ® PROGRAM EFFICIENCY FOR BEGINNERS 

On Sept, 28, Bruce Gilsen shared simple efficiency techniques that can benefit SAS ® users at all levels of experience.  Applications or data sets for which efficiency techniques are presented include the following:

• Read long records from a flat file and keep selected records.
  • Subset a SAS data set to create a new data set or use in a SAS Procedure.
  • Test multiple conditions with IN, OR, or AND operators.
  • Read a SAS data set when you need only a few of many variables.
  • Concatenate two SAS data sets.
  • Execute a DATA step when no output SAS data set is needed.
  • Speed up processing by not dividing by zero.

Bruce Gilsen's BIO:

In 35+ years as a SAS ® consultant at the Federal Reserve Board, he has answered thousands of SAS-related questions.  Some of the most common problems encountered were discussed in seven previous "Tales from the Help Desk" papers. He is rated as one of the top-5 speakers of DCSUG, over the last 10 years. 

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
3 REPLIES 3
Quentin
Super User

Thanks for sharing the recording, @ShelleySessoms .  Bruce is terrific presenter!  I was at a few DC SUG meetings when I lived in DC (about 20 years ago...)  I learned a lot, and also made a connection that helped me get a new job.  Glad to see it's still an active community.

Bruce presented a webinar for BASUG in 2021 on calling R from SAS.  That recording is available at: https://www.basug.org/videos?wix-vod-video-id=b67d5218dbe24163ace0723ddfea38dd&wix-vod-comp-id=comp-...

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

I agree, @Quentin. Bruce is a force to be reckoned with and pulled in 80 virtual attendees! 

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
nbrucken
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, Shelley!  MSUG is always looking for speakers;  maybe Bruce will consider presenting a webinar for our group, as well.

Thanks,

Nancy