BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ccasagran737
Fluorite | Level 6

Hy,

when I open a dataset often sas studion does not select all the variables but only some. If I want to see all the columns in the dataset I have to select them manually. Is there a way to let sas studio show all the columns every time I open a dataset ?

If the problem is not clear please let me know.
Thanks for your help,
Daniele

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jennifert
SAS Employee

HI @Ccasagran737 ,

By default, SAS Studio displays 30 columns, or variables, in the table viewer.  Does this data set have more than 30 columns? 

You can change the value of the Columns displayed option on Tables page of the Preferences window from 30 to either 50 or 100.

I hope that helps!

Jennifer

Catch the SAS Global Forum keynotes, announcements, and tech content!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
koyelghosh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I think if you scroll to the right, you should be able to see all the columns. Since screen width is fixed and limited, only so many columns can be seen at a time. By default Studio outputs 100 rows (you can see rest of rows by clicking arrow at the top) and a few columns.
Ccasagran737
Fluorite | Level 6
Thaks but I mean a different thing.
As you can see in the picutere (red box) sas does not select all the variables when I open the dataset but I have to do it (orange arrows).

Since I lose time doing this, I was wondering if there was a way to automatically display all the variables when the dataset was opened (maybe in the "SAS Preferences").

Thanks!

Untitled.jpg

koyelghosh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I see your problem. I had a hunch that I was underestimating your problem and I did. I don't have the perfect answer but there is a two step workaround.

In the Columns box (which you highlighted as a red box) ..if you go up it says "Seleziona tutto" .. I guess that means "select all". If you click, it will select all columns and solve the problem. However you are right, you will have to do it for every dataset that you open.

I guess it happens from 33 columns onwards. May be it displays 32 columns only and rest you have to select. 

May be this is a default setting in SAS and there may be a way how we can override this.

SAS experts may please comment on this.

jennifert
SAS Employee

HI @Ccasagran737 ,

By default, SAS Studio displays 30 columns, or variables, in the table viewer.  Does this data set have more than 30 columns? 

You can change the value of the Columns displayed option on Tables page of the Preferences window from 30 to either 50 or 100.

I hope that helps!

Jennifer

koyelghosh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@jennifert Thank you from my side .. even though I am not the one who asked.

Ccasagran737
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi!

Thanks for your advice but I couldn't find this option.

Coul you send me a screenshot?

Thanks!

jennifert
SAS Employee

Hi @Ccasagran737 ,

What version of SAS Studio are you running?  I've attached a screenshot of the Preferences window in SAS Studio 3.8.  image.png

thanks,

Jennifer

Ccasagran737
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I'am runing this version: Release: 3.71 (Edizione Enterprise).

Unlukly I can't see this option in my preferece windows. It's a pity because it is very useful also for my collegues.

I've attached the screenshot (it is italian lenguage).

Untitled2.jpg

jennifert
SAS Employee

Hi @Ccasagran737 ,

I'm sorry that this is not an option in SAS Studio 3.71.  You could use the Select all option at the top of the Columns list to quickly select all of the columns in the data set instead of having to add each column individually.

image.png 

The documentation about opening and viewing data in SAS Studio 3.71 that talks about this option is here:

Opening and Viewing Data

thanks,

Jennifer

Ccasagran737
Fluorite | Level 6
Ok thanks for your help!
koyelghosh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@jennifert .. Does it also take into account "total" width of all columns? Are there two checks?

One for number of columns and one for total width. Which ever one fails first, it stops displaying onwards.

I am asking this because looking at the height of the scroll bar for columns ..may be there are not 30 columns .. Regardless, I thought I will ask this. 

jennifert
SAS Employee

Hi @koyelghosh ,

I don't believe there is an option that considers the width of the columns like you describe.  You can use the Size grid columns to content option on the General page of the Preferences window to automatically adjust the width of the columns to fit the size of the column content, but that doesn't affect how many columns SAS Studio displays.

thanks,

Jennifer

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation