BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
eileencant
Calcite | Level 5

I am using SAS Studio. On my very first SAS homework, I have to manually enter the data. The first column is a non-numeric indicator ($); the second column contains both positive and negative values. After manually entering the code below, I ran the code to inspect the data and the negative values are showing up as *

Code:

DATA a;
INPUT var1 $ 1 var2 3;
DATALINES;
1 0
1 -3
1 -2
1 -1
2 1
2 2
2 1
2 0
3 10
3 12
3 8
3 5
4 3
4 2
4 3
4 4
;
RUN;
QUIT;

Screen shot of data view attached. Many thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@eileencant wrote:

Thanks, everyone. I don't know enough SAS to interpret your messages, but I very much appreciate your time and I eventually got it to work by adding more columns. Here is what worked and I truly appreciate your help as a SAS novice. (I don't even know if the "version" I am using is "SAS Studio" or "SAS UE" but I should have mentioned this. New code:

DATA a;
INPUT var1 $ 1 var2 3-5;

When you put digits after a variable on an input statement then you telling a explicit column to read from. So when you said

input var1 $ 1 var2 3;

you said Var2 exists only in column 3. Without the $ the variable is numeric. So when the - sign was encountered that was all SAS was allowed to read and a negative sign needs at least one other digit.

This style of reading values is called "Fixed Column" as you read from only the indicated column(s) for each variable. When you added 3-5 that mean you were reading from columns 3 to 5. the + and leading 0 weren't need.

Another form of input is called "List" and assumes that values are separated by one or more characters defaulting to spaces.

So

input var1 $ var2;

says the first variable is expected to be 1 to 8 characters (the default for $, you need to provide more info if reading longer) character then after one or more spaces look for numeric value (length basically irrelevant though issues with more than 15 positions arise).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mkeintz
PROC Star

Look at your log before you look at your data display.  When I run your code, the log shows:

1378  DATA a;
1379  INPUT var1 $ 1 var2 3;
1380  DATALINES;

NOTE: Invalid data for var2 in line 1382 3-3.
RULE:       ----+----1----+----2----+----3----+----4----+----5----+----6----+----7----+----8----+----9----+----0
1382        1 -3
var1=1 var2=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=2
NOTE: Invalid data for var2 in line 1383 3-3.
RULE:       ----+----1----+----2----+----3----+----4----+----5----+----6----+----7----+----8----+----9----+----0
1383        1 -2
var1=1 var2=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=3
NOTE: Invalid data for var2 in line 1384 3-3.
1384        1 -1
var1=1 var2=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=4
NOTE: The data set WORK.A has 16 observations and 2 variables.

Interpret the NOTE on the log, which says invalid data for VAR2 in line xxx 3-3  (columns 3 through 3).  Look at column 3 in the RULE line and DATA line that follow.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your INPUT statement is incorrect - check your SAS log for the messages regarding invalid data. Try this:

INPUT var1 $ var2;

eileencant
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, everyone. I don't know enough SAS to interpret your messages, but I very much appreciate your time and I eventually got it to work by adding more columns. Here is what worked and I truly appreciate your help as a SAS novice. (I don't even know if the "version" I am using is "SAS Studio" or "SAS UE" but I should have mentioned this. New code:

DATA a;
INPUT var1 $ 1 var2 3-5;
DATALINES;
1 +00
1 -03
1 -02
1 -01
2 +01
2 +02
2 +01
2 +00
3 +10
3 +12
3 +08
3 +05
4 +03
4 +02
4 +03
4 +04
;
RUN;
QUIT;

ballardw
Super User

@eileencant wrote:

DATA a;
INPUT var1 $ 1 var2 3-5;

When you put digits after a variable on an input statement then you telling a explicit column to read from. So when you said

input var1 $ 1 var2 3;

you said Var2 exists only in column 3. Without the $ the variable is numeric. So when the - sign was encountered that was all SAS was allowed to read and a negative sign needs at least one other digit.

This style of reading values is called "Fixed Column" as you read from only the indicated column(s) for each variable. When you added 3-5 that mean you were reading from columns 3 to 5. the + and leading 0 weren't need.

Another form of input is called "List" and assumes that values are separated by one or more characters defaulting to spaces.

So

input var1 $ var2;

says the first variable is expected to be 1 to 8 characters (the default for $, you need to provide more info if reading longer) character then after one or more spaces look for numeric value (length basically irrelevant though issues with more than 15 positions arise).

eileencant
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much. This is the explanation I was lacking. I appreciate your time and clarity.

ballardw
Super User

Read you LOG.

You would have seen something like:

NOTE: Invalid data for var2 in line 1040 3-3.
RULE:       ----+----1----+----2----+----3----+----4----+----5----+----6----+----7----+----8----+-
1040        1 -3
var1=1 var2=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=2
NOTE: Invalid data for var2 in line 1041 3-3.
1041        1 -2
var1=1 var2=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=3
NOTE: Invalid data for var2 in line 1042 3-3.
1042        1 -1
var1=1 var2=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=4
NOTE: The data set USER.A has 16 observations and 2 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.02 seconds
      cpu time            0.01 seconds

What was your purpose for having the 3 at the end of the input statement? It is really a good idea to attempt to limit the length of numeric variables as the storage for numeric values is different than for character.

Try:

DATA a;
INPUT var1 $1.  var2 ;
DATALINES;
1 0
1 -3
1 -2
1 -1
2 1
2 2
2 1
2 0
3 10
3 12
3 8
3 5
4 3
4 2
4 3
4 4
;
RUN;

and see if that behaves better.

You attempted to put a value into less space than needed to store it.

Significant Digits and Largest Integer by Length for SAS Variables under Windows
Length in Bytes
Largest Integer Represented Exactly
Exponential Notation
Significant Digits Retained

Some variation in operating systems but the negative values require more storage than the simple integers.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation