BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
eljay
Fluorite | Level 6

help! my excel file is on a flash drive known to my computer as the e:\ drive. SAS says the physical file is missing. what am i missing? thank you, folks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
eljay
Fluorite | Level 6

gave up and bought stata

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Reeza
Super User

What's your question? What's the issue your having with import and how are you doing it? How is your SAS set up?

FYI CSV are text files that Excel knows how to read, they are not Excel files. 

eljay
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for anwering! I am following the tutorial as closely as I can but the tutorial seems to assume that the excel SS is already resident within SAS. My data are in a flash drive as e:

Here are my code lines

data opeb;

infile 'E:\000000pensionopeb\april19small.csv' DLM=',' firstobs=2;

input GFOA lopeb lpop nuobs1 logliab mc urate ustat logplus1 yr lav st$ name$ posnad;

Reeza
Super User

Please answer my initial questions. 

eljay
Fluorite | Level 6

What's your question? how do i import excel data to SAS studio? What's the issue your having with import

i get this error:

1 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
56 data opeb;
57 infile 'E:\000000pensionopeb\april19small.csv' DLM=',' firstobs=2;
58 input GFOA lopeb lpop nuobs1 logliab mc urate ustat logplus1 yr lav st$ name$ posnad;
60 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /pbr/biconfig/940/Lev1/SASApp/E:\000000pensionopeb\april19small.csv.
WARNING: The data set WORK.OPEB may be incomplete. When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 14 variables.
WARNING: Data set WORK.OPEB was not replaced because this step was stopped.

and how are you doing it? typing the code as per above

How is your SAS set up? I am using SAS studio.

FYI CSV are text files that Excel knows how to read, they are not Excel files. The SAS tutorial video emphasized the need to use csv format.

thank you for help

ballardw
Super User

SAS Studio has some rules about files:

/pbr/biconfig/940/Lev1/SASApp/E:\000000pensionopeb​\april19small.csv.

The change from / to \ tells you that SAS is running in (most likely) a Unix/Linux server mode and cannot see the flash drive attached to your computer as your machine is not the server.

You MAY be able to use an import task and navigate to that location but the code won't work.

If you could connect the thumb drive to the server, OR move a copy of the file to a location that the SERVER sees, then the code would run with the appropriate path.

eljay
Fluorite | Level 6

thank you . . . looks like SAS Studio is worthless to me since i have no idea where the server is. Ordinarily I use LIMDEP and Eviews for my statistical analysis but they are coming up short with a regression diagnostic I need.  I will investigate SAS on campus a bit more before checking out SPSS. 

Reeza
Super User

@eljay wrote:

thank you . . . looks like SAS Studio is worthless to me since i have no idea where the server is. Ordinarily I use LIMDEP and Eviews for my statistical analysis but they are coming up short with a regression diagnostic I need.  I will investigate SAS on campus a bit more before checking out SPSS. 

Are you not using University Edition? If you're a student it is an option, it's installed locally, there is no server, its on a Virtual Machine that runs on your desktop. And it's free and you can download and install at your convenience.

http://www.sas.com/en_us/software/university-edition.html

Reeza
Super User

I'm going to assume SAS University Edition that you've downloaded to your machine.

1. Make sure you've set up shared folder, myfolders. See installation instructions on how that should have been done.

2. Move your CSV file to the myfolders location.

3. Reference it as '/folders/myfolders/yourfilename.csv'

If you're not using UE this doesn't apply.

eljay
Fluorite | Level 6
No, I was not using the university edition . . . my previous efforts led me to SAS Studio. Thank you for this link; I'm in process of installing it now. Regards, eljay

Reeza
Super User

SAS Studio is a type of SAS, but there are several different installation types. 

One is University Edition, another links to SAS servers and called Academic On Demand, and a third allows a company to install Studio to connect to their own  SAS Server. My point being that SAS Studio is not specific enough to provide information on what you're working on 🙂

Good Luck with UE. 

I should mention that it has SAS/STAT but not many of the SAS/ETS (time series) procs. So depending on what you're doing it may not be suitable either. 

eljay
Fluorite | Level 6

gave up and bought stata

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation