BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
saudy9990
Calcite | Level 5

Is there any new version of SAS coming support Mac? It is not that easy to use the SAS studio online! it takes time running   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MLehon
Calcite | Level 5

I'm also a Mac User, and I can confirm that using Chrome or Firefox works perfectly well.

I have a slight preference for Chrome as it includes the Flash plugin... so that I do not have to install it (and update it each time there is an issue).

If you need a "local" install of SAS... well it depends, the way to go is through VMWare (I use VMWare Fusion 😎 and run SAS in a VM.

I used Windows VMs (nice for the clients like Enterprise Guide) and CentOS Linux (nice if you want to simulate a server) VMs with great success... As usual having a lot a memory on your machine is a huge benefic when playing with VMs.

Just a work a caution if you use a Windows VM and you have a Retina display, the scaling of the user interface can be wierd and you might have to toggle off the "use retina high resolution" option in the display settings of your VM.

Hope that helps,

Michel.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Reeza
Super User

SAS studio is the same on PC or Mac

What issues are you running into? 

Also, VMWare is dirt cheap so set up a Windows VM and have both worlds. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If it is a problem with the browser, try an alternative like chrome or palemoon. Otherwise your problems might be on the server side, as SAS studio is purely web-based.

If it is a single-machine installation that runs purely on OSX, you might have a scaling problem; contact your SAS representative, as they should have supported you when setting up.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

I am not sure about your specific issue. I understand your issue is while working SAS Studio on Safari.

If that is the case, I understand, but then you can use Chrome (the most compatible webbrowser) and problem solved, as suggested.

In other hand, if your problem is on the SAS installation side, then you are right, it is not supported, only if you run a virtual machine, but this is a very easy process. I will drop a couple of links here, to check if they are aligned with what you need. Otherwise, please let your SAS representative know, that would be the best approach.

http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Running_SAS_on_Macintosh_OS_X_10.4_and_Above

https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionInstallGuid...

saudy9990
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very much for helping, I will download Chrome to see....

MLehon
Calcite | Level 5

I'm also a Mac User, and I can confirm that using Chrome or Firefox works perfectly well.

I have a slight preference for Chrome as it includes the Flash plugin... so that I do not have to install it (and update it each time there is an issue).

If you need a "local" install of SAS... well it depends, the way to go is through VMWare (I use VMWare Fusion 😎 and run SAS in a VM.

I used Windows VMs (nice for the clients like Enterprise Guide) and CentOS Linux (nice if you want to simulate a server) VMs with great success... As usual having a lot a memory on your machine is a huge benefic when playing with VMs.

Just a work a caution if you use a Windows VM and you have a Retina display, the scaling of the user interface can be wierd and you might have to toggle off the "use retina high resolution" option in the display settings of your VM.

Hope that helps,

Michel.

confused_saser
Obsidian | Level 7

@MLehon have you ever used SAS on bootcamp on a mac? 

I am taking a course soon which needs to install the software onto the computer

Reeza
Super User

@confused_saser I use SAS UE on a Mac.

I also run a Windows 7 VM full time with my Mac using VM, I don't use BootCamp as it partitions your drive. Instead I purchased a SSD that's 128GB and run it off that, but you can run a Windows VM without BootCamp using VM Ware/VM Workstation. I don't have SAS installed on it right now but have previously. 

Oracle VirtualBox, which is free is the other alternative.

If you're using it in a course they're likely to provide installation instructions for you. 

confused_saser
Obsidian | Level 7

@Reeza Thank you for that! Super helpful.

The course I'm taking is charging me $50 to install SAS 9.4 on our computers, but I didn't realize that SAS University Edition was availbale for MAC as well now...which is free!! So I will try that instead.

Do you happen to know if the University Edition is not as great as SAS 9.4? Thanks again.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

SAS UE is 9.4. It depends on what the version delivered with the course has licensed to tell which one would be "better" for you.

But UE usually covers all modules needed by beginners.

confused_saser
Obsidian | Level 7

hmm that's good to know! thanks @Kurt_Bremser they are just trying to steal our money!

Reeza
Super User

The license your school offers will be a better solution.

It will likely have SAS/GRAPH, ETS and a different interface. 

For example, one area where SAS UE is weak is on the SAS/ETS module. Not all the time series procs are included.

SAS Studio is what's used in UE and your University will likely offer the course in SAS Base or EG. If it's Base it'll be fine but EG is significantly different.  

The ideal situation would be to pay the $50 and get the SAS version. You'll also have to pay for a Windows License for the Virtual Machine to run SAS. Hopefully your University should have good offers from Microsoft because the $249 for a Windows license is high, SAS requires Windows Pro the last time I checked.  VMWare would then be about $40 which means you're looking at 3-400. At that point you may as well buy a Windows computer. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation