Hi,

I'm using the code below 

proc import
datafile ='\home\x***.sav'
out= burum
dbms= sav
replace;
run;

and it gives me a pop-up window, saying "User *** has insufficient permissions to create /‌home/‌x****. Contact your system administrator to resolve". It continues giving me the same message when I run any other codes.

Need help to get the SAS back to work. Thank you very much! 

11 REPLIES 11
Reeza
Super User
Restart SAS and try again. If it still gives this error, you likely need to contact your administrator because that's not an error that makes sense for the code. I'm assuming you've using ** to mask the name of the data set, and that's not your actual code.
Elaine0223
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

Yes, the **** is only the path I have used many times to have access to the data, which is unrelated to the issue. I actually restarted and tried, it still did not work. I contacted the tech support and posted a question here just to see if I can get any solutions. Thank you!
Reeza
Super User
What if you use the actual file name?
Elaine0223
Calcite | Level 5
%web_drop_table(INP7071.D0130);
FILENAME REFFILE '/home/xzhao10/INP 7071/INP 7071 0130.sav';

PROC IMPORT DATAFILE=REFFILE
DBMS=SAV
OUT=INP7071.D0130;
RUN;
proc reg data=INP7071.D0130;
/*v31_reverse is job strese; v44_reverse is job satisfaction*/
model v31_reverse = v44_reverse/ B stb EDF ADJRSQ covb;

title ' Regression model 1 / testing Hypothesis 1' ;/
run;

Here is a sample code that I used. It used to work perfectly fine, but now it gives the same pop-up window I mentioned.

What do you mean to access the file in other way? I tried the code both in the school and at home. Not the issue of internet.
Reeza
Super User

/home/xzhao seems like a network location to me, ergo I suggested a network issue. 

If not, you'll have to talk to your administrator, especially if there's no errors in the log. 

I would also try to access other files to find out if it was just this file or if there was an issue with my account or something. 

@Elaine0223 wrote:
%web_drop_table(INP7071.D0130);
FILENAME REFFILE '/home/xzhao10/INP 7071/INP 7071 0130.sav';

PROC IMPORT DATAFILE=REFFILE
DBMS=SAV
OUT=INP7071.D0130;
RUN;
proc reg data=INP7071.D0130;
/*v31_reverse is job strese; v44_reverse is job satisfaction*/
model v31_reverse = v44_reverse/ B stb EDF ADJRSQ covb;

title ' Regression model 1 / testing Hypothesis 1' ;/
run;

Here is a sample code that I used. It used to work perfectly fine, but now it gives the same pop-up window I mentioned.

What do you mean to access the file in other way? I tried the code both in the school and at home. Not the issue of internet.

Elaine0223
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you. I also tried other files. None of them worked. I will talk to the administrator.
Reeza
Super User
Actually have you checked if you can access the file in another way? I wonder if you're having a temporary network issue, especially if the code used to work before.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since SAS complains about creating "/‌home/‌x****", it seems that "/‌home/‌x****" does not exist in the environment of the SAS process.

For further help, post your log of the whole step as is, only masking the certain items that need to be kept confidential. Use the {i} button for posting logs.

NaveenKha
Calcite | Level 5
This is a technical Issue nothing to do with code.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

To add to what @Kurt_Bremser states:

The error message states that you're lacking permission to CREATE the file which means it doesn't already exist.

The actual path you've shared - '/home/xzhao10/INP 7071/INP 7071 0130.sav - looks like this is under your Unix HOME directory where you should have permissions to create files. I guess that currently even the folder .../INP 7071/.. doesn't exist. ....and I've just realized that there are embedded blanks in this folder name which could cause further challenges.

First thing to do: Check via Putty or WinSCP or similar if the file really exists under this exact path.

And just as a thought:

In case there was a recent upgrade/change of your machine then your /home/<user> directory might not have been migrated. 

And IF this is a SAS Grid then your home directory is per Grid node and your session might at one time execute on the one grid node and next time on another grid node - meaning a file you've created in one session on node A in your home directory will not exist in a second session on node B (because that's a different home directory).

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @Elaine0223 
You are Importing i.e.  reading the file from the Unix folder. So the error message states that you're lacking permission to CREATE the file  looks a bit confusing.
It could also  be that you don't have access to SAS work directory.
To have a clear picture  can you please share the message and details about your environment?
Typically under these type of scenarios  the first person to seek help would be a more experienced colleague / SAS Administrator .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation