BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Go
Quartz | Level 8 Go
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All,

We are trying to move users from EG to SAS Studio, I would like to know the key differences between these two, What are the extra things a user can do in SAS Studio ? and vice versa 

Process flow option is there in SAS Studio ?

Can user access and run stored procs from SAS Studio ?

10 REPLIES 10
SASKiwi
PROC Star

SAS Studio in its current form is primarily for SAS coders. There is some task automation available but it is very limited compared to EG and there is no equivalent of the process flow. You cannot run EG projects in SAS Studio. You would have to export all your projects to SAS code to run it in SAS Studio.

Personally I think there is room for both tools in an organisation as SAS users not familiar with coding are best off using EG. 

Reeza
Super User

I haven't fully explored SAS Studio but the Visual Programmer side seems well developed to me. I like the way it operates better than EG in fact.

Go
Quartz | Level 8 Go
Quartz | Level 8
Hi Reeza,
thx
Can you list out any disadvantages and advantages over EG as a programmer ?
Apart from new snippets feature and look and feel
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Actually, there is process flow functioanlity in SAS Studio:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/webeditorug/68828/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n157xvzzfhrchb...

And I think it looks promising, it seems to be a bit inspired by DI Studio, which is good thing.

But as @SASKiwi implies, EG is still a more pwerfull tool.

But if you don't have a large EG legacy, I would get stared on SAS Studio, and see if that's enough. And perhaps bring EG to a limited no of user that really can utilize it.

Data never sleeps
Go
Quartz | Level 8 Go
Quartz | Level 8
Thx Linush, I appreciate your reply
I don't see much difference between EG and SAS Studio, Can you please prove I'm wrong, since you said EG is still powerful !?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Ah @LinusH, I was looking at SAS Studio 3.2 - looks like the process flow got added in a later version and is obviously in 3.5

I've also heard that there are plans afoot to be able to migrate process flows / projects between EG and SAS Studio in a later release. 

Go
Quartz | Level 8 Go
Quartz | Level 8
Search option is something in SAS Studio, I like it, did we have this kind of feature in EG ??
jennifert
SAS Employee

Hi Go,

Sorry this reply is slow in coming, but yes - starting in SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1, you can search in your current project by using the search box in the upper right corner of the application.  You can search for items in the project by name, and you can search for text inside some items.   By default, the search results include all types of items in the project, but you can narrow the search to include only specific types of items in the project.  

You can find more details in the online help for SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1 or later by going to the Index tab and typing "searching in a project."

thanks,

Jennifer

Catch the SAS Global Forum keynotes, announcements, and tech content!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

Reeza
Super User

One major difference that I don't like - EG can run locally or server, depending on installation.

Studio is only on the server, so if you have anything that uses X commands or DDE they likely won't transition.

AmyP_sas
SAS Employee

Coming in a little late to this discussion but wanted to let you know that in the new FAQ just published, there are topics comparing SAS Studio to several other interfaces.  What are the differences between SAS Studio and SAS Enterprise Guide? is what we have so far for EG.   We can add some of the points made already & would love to hear any others you might have.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 6 in conversation